Ug, frustrated!

Cliff

You might recognize this. I'm making it for my wife. If you are wondering why exactly the "outside" is on the "inside" it's because yet another screwup. I'm so friggin annoyed at this screwup. Once I miscut the first piece I had to just keep on going. I'm lucky that it still looks pretty good this way.

post-17490-0-76709300-1435756422_thumb.j

I thought of this after reading the post about putting the dado in backwards. Made me feel better. But it's still very frustrating to keep making so many mistakes. This is the second frame I built. The first ended up at 1/2" because the trim glue up was so mis-aligned. Turns out 1/2" is what I need my dado to be for the matte, content and backer board. So that got scrapped.

Now the worst part about this is that is real tiger maple from bell forest, not veneer. And, I don't own a bandsaw so I had to order 1/4" bubinga and 1/8" wenge. So each frame is about $90-100 in wood. I have absolutely no prob paying that much for a gift for my wife, but to pay it twice and still have a screwed up version as my final... ug.

That sucks! Sorry to hear that! 

There could light at the end of the tunnel through all this. You give the frame to your wife as is and tell her it is screwed up because you don't have a bandsaw. Then she will say, "ahhh baby, you are so sweet, go buy yourself a nice new bandsaw" A stretch? Maybe, but you could try....lol 

• Like 1

That sucks! Sorry to hear that! 

There could light at the end of the tunnel through all this. You give the frame to your wife as is and tell her it is screwed up because you don't have a bandsaw. Then she will say, "ahhh baby, you are so sweet, go buy yourself a nice new bandsaw" A stretch? Maybe, but you could try....lol 

I like that scenerio. I think it's unlikely I'll ever see it. :) She thinks I spend too much. I think she's entirely correct but I have some obsession issues. I'm going to have to go on a several month "no buying tools" spree to recover. Good thing I just ordered another LN plane due to advice in the hand tool forum.

• Like 1

Well, I think she would understand if it was a few hundred overspending. But I started with nothing in February. It's gotten completely out of control. I should have canceled my credit cards before starting this hobby.

Anyway, my Festool Jigsaw comes today.

My problem is that I like nice things. I'm never looking for a bargain, unless it's something top-rated that has the price knocked off. Festool offers enormous quality and an equally enormous price. This interests me. That being said.. I think the only ones I'd realistically get is a sander (because it's pretty cheap,) the dust extractor, domino - and possibly the kapex and track saw. Those last two both have pretty good models by different brands, so it's harder to justify for me.

The jigsaw.. I decided to get it because I hate using a circular saw for breaking boards down. I also hate the two jigsaws I got for free, they are literally the worst things ever. So I'm going to try out the best and if it changes how I do things, I'll keep them. If there is no such thing as a "good jigsaw" then I'll send it back and maybe pick up a Grizzly track saw.

Back to the topic at hand. I really like the frame. It is unconventional, but nobody would notice it.

During my growth as a hobby wood worker, building mostly one offs, I have learned and accepted that oops happens. . It is an art in and of itself to learn how to adjust fire and keep pushing through.

Screwing up isn't in vain if you learn from the oops and apply that knowledge in the future.

I know it's been touched on but, I have found that my continually making things for my wife, both things she asks for, and nice little surprises does help to tame the monster. If you call this manipulation, so be it. It works.

• Like 1

My problem is that I like nice things. I'm never looking for a bargain, unless it's something top-rated that has the price knocked off. Festool offers enormous quality and an equally enormous price. This interests me. That being said.. I think the only ones I'd realistically get is a sander (because it's pretty cheap,) the dust extractor, domino - and possibly the kapex and track saw. Those last two both have pretty good models by different brands, so it's harder to justify for me.

The jigsaw.. I decided to get it because I hate using a circular saw for breaking boards down. I also hate the two jigsaws I got for free, they are literally the worst things ever. So I'm going to try out the best and if it changes how I do things, I'll keep them. If there is no such thing as a "good jigsaw" then I'll send it back and maybe pick up a Grizzly track saw.

I use a high quality hand saw for breaking down rough lumber. Works great.

It's no concession, but I think it looks great. I know it's hard to do, but the next time you invest that much in lumber maybe try doing a mock up in some cheaper stuff. When I first started this madness I did the same thing. you get excited and jump in head first. Patience is one of the main skills with wood working.

I have absolutely no prob paying that much for a gift for my wife, but to pay it twice and still have a screwed up version as my final... ug.

That happens to me all the time.

For example:

">http://IMG_1071_zpsath5zpbj.jpg

The three boxes on the left are rejects. The one on the bottom, I cut too deep and went through the inlay. Next the maple stripes didn't line up at one corner for no other reason than I simply failed to check it during glue-up. Then my miters didn't close up...

So now I'm on my fourth attempt which is shown on the right. There's no telling how I'll screw this one up but I'm entirely prepared to make a fifth. :)

Maybe making a prototype out of pine or poplar in the future can save some of the expensive wood.

And I wouldn't call the first frame a total loss. Sure...it won't fit the gift you're trying to complete, but it will probably make a smaller matching frame.

Throw a wedding photo in there and surprise your wife on Valentine's Day or an anniversary.

• Like 1

It's no concession, but I think it looks great. I know it's hard to do, but the next time you invest that much in lumber maybe try doing a mock up in some cheaper stuff. When I first started this madness I did the same thing. you get excited and jump in head first. Patience is one of the main skills with wood working.

That happens to me all the time.

For example:

">http://IMG_1071_zpsath5zpbj.jpg

The three boxes on the left are rejects. The one on the bottom, I cut too deep and went through the inlay. Next the maple stripes didn't line up at one corner for no other reason than I simply failed to check it during glue-up. Then my miters didn't close up...

So now I'm on my fourth attempt which is shown on the right. There's no telling how I'll screw this one up but I'm entirely prepared to make a fifth. :)

Maybe making a prototype out of pine or poplar in the future can save some of the expensive wood.

And I wouldn't call the first frame a total loss. Sure...it won't fit the gift you're trying to complete, but it will probably make a smaller matching frame.

Throw a wedding photo in there and surprise your wife on Valentine's Day or an anniversary.

That really makes me feel much better. I'm sorry your boxes blew up, but glad to see it all the same! 

I'm completely sold on the mock up. I reallly really wish I had done that.

• Like 1

So I did the glue up tonight. The pic I linked was unfinished, unglued. I very nearly botched the glue up. Lesson learned on using Titebond (the first one) on things I've never done before. It was so close to hardening in the wrong spot and out of square. I yanked the joint apart with all of my strength and reglued. Still not sure it is square or lined up right. This time, I barely used clamps because the clamps just caused the miters to misalign despite using biscuits. Oh and I had bought a frame clamping jig - complete junk I tossed it into a corner rather than use it. 

Not trying another frame with expensive wood until I can put them together in my sleep. 

So I did the glue up tonight. The pic I linked was unfinished, unglued. I very nearly botched the glue up. Lesson learned on using Titebond (the first one) on things I've never done before. It was so close to hardening in the wrong spot and out of square. I yanked the joint apart with all of my strength and reglued. Still not sure it is square or lined up right. This time, I barely used clamps because the clamps just caused the miters to misalign despite using biscuits. Oh and I had bought a frame clamping jig - complete junk I tossed it into a corner rather than use it. 

Not trying another frame with expensive wood until I can put them together in my sleep.

Building picture frames with mitres is a task that can be difficult to master. Cutting gap free miters is a challenge, and requires experience and patience (And even then sometimes they have a small gap). To help set yourself up for success, equip yourself with the right tools. Use a table saw sled for the miter cuts, keeping track of the left and right side to ensure a 90 degree angle. Use a self squaring picture frame clamp set to glue up your frame. ALWAYS dry fit your frame before glue up (called a rehearsal by some). Know how to repair slight errors or mistakes (wax pencils, for example).

Keep building, you'll get there!

Dave, I think they're all unique and of contemporary design and anyone would believe that. That's a lot of lamination to be chunking. IMO, there's only one that would be a part holder in the shop. The rest would be, look what I made!

Dave, I think they're all unique and of contemporary design and anyone would believe that. That's a lot of lamination to be chunking. IMO, there's only one that would be a part holder in the shop. The rest would be, look what I made!

Thanks Ken.

I will definitely get around to making lids for a couple of the rejects. I need the practice installing hinges. 

Building picture frames with mitres is a task that can be difficult to master. Cutting gap free miters is a challenge, and requires experience and patience (And even then sometimes they have a small gap). To help set yourself up for success, equip yourself with the right tools. Use a table saw sled for the miter cuts, keeping track of the left and right side to ensure a 90 degree angle. Use a self squaring picture frame clamp set to glue up your frame. ALWAYS dry fit your frame before glue up (called a rehearsal by some). Know how to repair slight errors or mistakes (wax pencils, for example).

Keep building, you'll get there!

Thanks for the advice. I used a Kreg Precision Miter Bar for my cuts. Pretty good overall. I think it would have been better had I ordered the fence with it. So I may need to send that back and get one with the fence. Only like $30 more. I made an mdf fence and it works ok.

The clamping jig I used was one of those self centering ones, but there was no instructions and I couldn't find anything online. I am not sure if it doesn't do odd frame sizes or if I just didn't know how to use it right. It was very frustrating to use. So I may have to get a different one or something.

My dry fit went great. but the miters didn't fit as well once the glue swelled the biscuits. I didn't anticipate this.

I was decently prepared, but it was still rough. I didn't go so far in my dry fit to practice clamping it. I think that is something I'll do next time so I understand what is going on better. That and getting longer open time glue I think would have really made the difference. As it is.. I think it will be ok. I'll post a pic when I get it cleaned up and finished. :D

To OP,

Scroll down to "Jigs & Fixtures" then scroll down to "Picture frame Jig/Clamp" and you will see a home made picture frame clamp that I've had great success with.

It is not my design, it is something I found in an old magazine several years ago but, it works great for any size frame and it allows you to keep all of the corners square and true.

Be sure to read all of the reply's and questions.

As far as cutting things backward.............I got nothing....... It's happened to all of us at one time or another. :)

Rog