Scrap pile reduction

wtnhighlander

OK, this is a boring project to journal, but I'm bored, an am passing the joy on to you guys!

My offcut pile was getting too big to manage, so I threw away the really small stuff, and ripped a few sticks to make a cutting board. I intended it to be an end-grain style, but it seemed like it would end up rather small. Since I had a couple of longer pieces in the mix, I decided to put them in the middle, and just make a long-grain cheese board instead.

Here it is in mid glue-up. I think I wen't a little overboard on the TB III !

f8fe37c77c2d07655228d14ef18e44c0.jpg

Species are black walnut and mulberry.

Squeeze-out is going to be something to behold! :)

Do you realize that if you decide to make it an END grain board and the thickness will be less than the width of your current glue-up that it will either end up the SAME or MORE square inches as a finished board? If your scrap boards are 2" wide and you are willing to make the cutting board 1-3/4" 0r 1-1/2" thick, you will GAIN a few inches in overall size of the board.

I made a cutting board out of 3/4 x 2-1/4" x 48" material and worried that I would have enough material. After I cut it for end grain at 1-1/2" for thickness, I had enough to make TWO boards!

Christmascuttingboards001_zps726696be.jp

Rog

So, glued and clamped before work, and attacked with vigor when I got home...

Out if the clamps and onto a sled for planing. Had to shim one corner a bit to eliminated rocking.

70811b0f45302e75f6c14c2c5fe252cd.jpg

Squared the end and sides, then marked the handle and corners for bandsaw work.

bca0a1bdc4f2d0f9bd0a11bda44c3bb9.jpg

Note the high-tech radius marking tool.

After bandsawing and spindle sanding, I realize this is looking remarkably like Marc's pizza peel project:

9d926a666fa6d9be0f1f03c282b6a7e7.jpg

Oh, well.

I decided to sculpt the handle for comfort and aesthetics.

69395c4c62bd1e1266dec34e51e11675.jpg

Love sculpting walnut!

After some rasp and sandpaper work, I wiped it down with mineral spirits to get a feel for the finished appearance:

55f4c74164af7f3196e2d8d6e2585686.jpg

Meets with approval of management, so almost done. Highest percentage if project completion I have ever achieved in one day, and a work day at that!

One problem to address; this crack "appeared" after I trimmed the board to size.

( read that as I missed it before)

Anyway, it is on the back side, but I'd like to repair / stabilize it if possible. This thing will probably hang in the wall as decor most of its life, but I'd like it to be fully functional if the need arises.

75fcfdf66c2b7e7ff94ce098c0653827.jpg

Any suggestions?