fix this defect?

jimmyhopps

I’m rubbing out a table top (yes, the same one i've asked a kazillion other questions about - still at it!).  using the abralon pads as several here have recommended.  amazing product.  I started with 500 grit and it is all smooth, except a very thin depression/line a few inches long (see dark line in picture. this is zoomed in quite a bit). The line parallels the joint where two boards meet. The joint line was either glue or epoxy (did some one way and some the other, and i didn’t mark them unfortunately). I’m 99.99% sure that this joint line was sanded perfectly flat before i started the finishing process. The depression is deep enough that i can feel it running my finger over it – hard to see exactly how deep, but seems almost like the finish parted like the red sea. it is shinny, so presumably some finish is down there over the dye.  i'm afraid to sand down further to find out.  I used Enduro Var gloss, 3 coats thus far. Any ideas what would have caused this?

And the more important question, how to fix it?

I’m nervous that another coat would not settle down into the depression, sort of like some finishes don’t go down into open pores. I’m spraying on.  Options? maybe i wipe some finish with a brush into the line then spray on top of it – assume it would level out?  of should i drag some finish into the depression with a pin or something, let that dry, sand out, then add more coats?  not sure if this would result in witness lines or not.  

Thoughts?

Thanks guys.

post-7301-0-06199700-1435765048_thumb.jp

Thanks Mike. Do nothing is a serious contender in my options list. I don't mind the visual aspect as it will not be very meaningful after the Polish is done. , but I am afraid that since there is a hard edge of the finish there, food stuffs and water will get in it and it will eventually start to flake off.

If you need to level it you can add finish into the void and build it up, since it is WB you will need to make sure the area is clean and try to give it some tooth to hold. Build the finish up (above the level of the other finish) and let it dry, it will die back when it cures. You can use a card scraper to level the patch and remove the excess flush with th surrounding areas so you don't need to sand as much. Repeat as many times as necessary until it is flush. Then apply a final coat once the patch has fully cured.

Using WB complicates repairs immensely – it’s one of the ugly little secrets at the heart of the WB universe – witnessing... And the principal reason I avoid WB finishes...

If it was strictly visual thing, i'd solve it with a strategicly-placed candle holder. However, as you observed, because you can feel it, then there is an edge and therefore you need to do something...

If you don’t mind the visual defect, then I’d use AquaCoat grain filler to level the depression, then shoot a lite topcoat to lock everything in...

As others have noticed, the root cause was the origional jointing. Epoxy would have filled the void, so I suspect this was a non-epoxy glue-line... Of some concern, will this defect spread with seasonal movement?

thanks guys.  am gonna give the multiple coats of finish a try.  seems like the other options open up the possibility of me messing it up, and would set back my schedule as i over ponder the fix..  Its not that deep, so hopefully just a few coats.  

I'm fairly sure the joint is secure. just did a bad job of it

Update - after a little more sanding, the depression seemed fairly shallow.  i rubbed some finish in with a sharpened stick / toothpick, and them immediately put on another coat - after a little sanding, the 1st coat took care of about 75% of it.  the next coat got the rest.  3rd and final coat now drying.  thanks guys.