Working Class Router Table - surface ideas?

Peter Brown

I'm planning to build this design by Marc Adams/Fine Woodworking out of MDF as his plan calls for, but I'm concerned about two things:

1.) An MDF surface will mar easily. Should I go with it anyway or surface with formica? And what adhesive will work best and allow it's replacement periodically without damaging the MDF?

2.) Allowing for a miter slot. Any advice on locating for this design?

Also, anyone build this?

Thanks

http://www.finewoodworking.com/woodworking-plans/article/working-class-router-table.aspx

post-18133-0-12266500-1435772925_thumb.j

Thanks. I was leaning toward formica and contact cement. Someone suggested calling for shipping damaged goods at some of the big box stores.

Cut the whole thing last night, should have it assembled today. Think my cost will be less than $100 including switch, wheels, and other hardware.

Stick to a water based or solvent based contact cement. Just because someone used a spray adhesive, doesn't make it the right way to go about it. Spray adhesive will lift over time and eventually fail. Do it once, do it right.

Thanks for the advice. Now that I think on it, I watched two videos on doing this, one from a guy that is awesome and used contact cement. The other looked like he may be the type of guy I'd rather not be in the same room with - used spray. 

If you slip a putty knife in between the laminate and MDF then flood the joint with the appropriate solvent you can squirt and lift the whole sheet off . I use a new glue bottle to squirt with (it holds up long enough to do the job but don't leave it in there) Lacquer thinner works on solvent based glues. Mineral spirits works on the waterbased contact cement. I use H2O by Wilsonart on my work professionally.

You have to scrape the surface w solvent to get all the glue off. Let it dry overnight and you are ready to replace the laminate.

It's messy, smelly and needs to be done outside w gloves but it can be done. It beats building a new core for the top, sorta...

I made that table and used a single of mdf that is well supported. I will eventually replace the whole top with a pre made top like a kreg. When I added up the cost of t slots and miter slots and a pre made insert it seems to make sense. What I have is working great right now and I can upgrade it soon. BTW my current insert is homemade from lexan.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk