Restricting tools to those with training

huhnra

I'm looking for ways to restrict the usage of some power tools (generally large tools, like a bandsaw, lathe, etc.) in a shop to certain individuals. Say, for instance, the tools are in a multi-purpose shop in which some people will not have been trained to use these particular tools, and as a matter of safety I would like to prevent them from even turning the tools on. The same principle would apply to a home shop, like in a garage, where children might have access.

Does anyone know of any sort of key, lock, pin pad, or any other kind of device that I could attach to these tools that would prevent people from using the tools unless they were able to "unlock" the device, so to speak?

Yeah this is something like a community shop. The people walking about would be knowledgeable enough to unplug a device and plug it into another outlet (or extension cord) or to flip the circuit breaker back on, so merely having the power outlet off won't do.

Yeah this is something like a community shop. The people walking about would be knowledgeable enough to unplug a device and plug it into another outlet (or extension cord) or to flip the circuit breaker back on, so merely having the power outlet off won't do.

I think the best approach is to remind people which tools they are not allowed to use, with a switch like Mike suggested.  If you really want to go crazy, you can cut off the plugs on the tools and hard wire them to the switched lines.  

Where I work we have some equipment that's so dangerous it makes a radial arm saw look like an easy bake oven.  They are attached to ID card locks which only unlock if you have been checked out on that equipment, and have reserved it for that time. We use a custom built safety/scheduling/billing system.  But even with that level of security, people could just unplug the equipment and plug it directly into the wall to bypass the security.  We're not going for theft protection, we're going for an automated auditing/logging system.  As Trip said, people who will go out of their way to violate the safety rules shouldn't be in a shop in the first place.

Most 110v plugs have small holes through the prongs on their plugs. A narrow pad lock or cable lock can be put through those holes and will prevent the plug from being inserted into an outlet.

Another thought: most power tools have a removeable safety "key" built into the switch that you simply pull out to disable the switch. Pull those and put them in a lockbox or small safe that is bolted to the floor or wall. Label the keys so everyone knows what key goes to what tool. Basically the same setup most car dealerships use.

Mechanical locks work, but requir? that someone remember to replace the lock when they finish operating the machine. In my experience, that doesn't happen. More enforceable would be the keypad / pin code arrangement, where you issue a unique PIN to each user after they complete the safety training. Such systems can be programmed to immediately re-lock when the machine is stopped, and can track which PIN is used. Won't be cheap, though.

Restricting tools for the untrained is always a good idea. My 14 year old nephew was in the shop with me the other day. I showed him how to use my combination disk sander/belt sander. I told him just to use the disc part as it has a square table and the vacuum extractor was attached the that part. I said don't use the belt sander part as it doesn't currently have the vacuum attached. He nodded and grunted the way only 14 year olds can put on his PPE/safety glasses/earmuffs and sanded away.

I thought everything was good and headed out of the shop to the bathroom (I don't have one in my shop) and came back only to a fine layer of dust everywhere in the shop. He'd used the belt sander!!

He then spent the next hour brushing and vacuuming his mess up. 

• Like 1

Many commercial copy machines have this feature built it, but the OP is talking about retrofitting machines with a power lock feature.

One method would be to use an electronic access controller, similar to this:

http://www.maglocks.com/cobra-controls-acp-4t-4-door-computerized-access-control-system-kit-by-cobra-controls-for-3359.html

One of these systems could control up to 4 machines, by replacing the lock magnet with a motor starter. This would allow for PIN codes or swipe cards to grant access and track usage. But we're talking about $1000 or so per machine once the needed accessories are included.

Yeah, I meant what I said. I am talking retrofitted power locked Rizzos.

• Like 1

I'd say look at Grainger Industrial supply.  In this electronic age, it seems that there would be some sort of inexpensive solution like a keypad to enter a code to unlock a machine.

On another note, you could have "Saturday training" - don't miss it or you're banned from the shop until you complete it.  Schedule an alternate day in the future.  Be sure your liability insurance is up to date.  All of this sounds like a recipe for a big claim and everything you've worked for becomes fair game with the right attorney that the one-handed guy hired.

I'd say look at Grainger Industrial supply.  In this electronic age, it seems that there would be some sort of inexpensive solution like a keypad to enter a code to unlock a machine.

Two words that don't really go together.

The second thought I agree with.  The source of such a product...not so much.

• Like 1

My first thought was Grainger and inexpensive in the same sentence...

I think a key pad is the best way to control the tools. However I wouldn't have anyone in the shop that wasn't trained on every tool. Waivers and signed forms of completed training would be something I'd hold on to and be really strict about.

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

I'm approaching this from the angle that nobody would go to extreme measures to bypass a lock, the keeping relatively honest people on the right track angle...

What about resettable combination padlocks with a unique combination for each tool?  Get "cleared" for a tool, get the combination.   Some machines have a provision for a padlock on the power switches, on others you could lock the end of the power cord in a box.

Way cheaper than key locks and PIN pads.

I can't believe I missed this thread the first time around.

If someone does not have training to operate a tool safely, and you think they would purposely bypass a safety device you installed. . THEY SHOULDN'T BE ALLOWED IN THERE. .

If they are your personal tools, you make the rules. If not, maybe instead of a lock out strategy, you should be putting together a training curriculum to get these people up to date and safely trained. .

post-16319-0-37893700-1436225647_thumb.j