Biesemeyer Fence Rail and Delta Unisaw

rjhidaho

I am assembling a older Unisaw (Model 36-844) with a Biesmeyer Fence.

To align the front rail with the fence, the instructions describe an "L" shaped template to align the rail with the table top.

I don't have this "template" ("D" on attached).  I don't believe it is available any longer.

I believe the primary goal of the template is to make sure the rail and saw top are parallel.

How critical is this distance from the top of the tablesaw to the rail?  Does it matter as long as the rail is parallel to the top?

Does anyone know what this distance should be (assuming it is important)?

rjh

post-167-0-12256400-1435974000_thumb.jpg

I might be wrong but it looks like in the illustration the "D" helps to ensure that the height of the rail is correct with respect to the TS top. That way the fence glides on the rail but is still close to the table saw top. ???? If I'm correct, and you do not have this "D", it's a trial and error thing until you get it right.

IIRC, there's not a ton of play with the height of the angle bracket anyway...I'd just give it a quick trial and error run with only a couple of bolts not fully tightened.  Just be sure the bracket sits below the table and doesn't block the miter slots.  It's easy enough to undue.  

A combination square works just as well. It's not for parallel.  It's to keep the angle iron, that the big rectangular tube mounts onto,  just low enough so the fence only rides on the table top while moving side to side along the rectangular tube.  I have that template in my "tablesaw" toolbox, and could give you the measurement if it wasn't too far away.  If you can't get it sorted out before next week, I can get it then.

We disassemble ours a couple of times a year for moving some years.