Workbench on Craigslist

Well, he claims it's made by Garrett Wade.

A Garrett Wade workbench could be bought through Fine Woodworking Magazine for $1,100:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/tool-guide/product-finder/garrett-wade-88a0201-workbench.aspx

$2,200 was a very expensive workbench in 1990.  Does the value of a workbench go up with age? 

It's extremely rare because of political unrest....I guess because of the teak?

Well, he claims it's made by Garrett Wade himself so you gotta do a little investigating.

A Garrett Wade workbench could be bought through Fine Woodworking Magazine for $1,100:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/tool-guide/product-finder/garrett-wade-88a0201-workbench.aspx

It's extremely rare because of political unrest....I guess because of the teak?

Fair point, same bench but maple not $2200 he claimed to have paid. If the teak is not desirable, doesn't appear to be that good of a deal. Maybe I'll put it in my favorites and see if he still has it in a month, then maybe offer $300.

Thanks everyone for chiming in on the bench, I've been scanning CL for months looking for a bench as a bandaid until I build my own. This bench was the first and only legit option that showed up in my area and I nearly bought it on impulse. Thanks for making me think about it. :-)

I was a Garrett Wade dealer in the mid to late '80's.  We sold quite a few of those benches at $350.  Several people modified them and used them as bars.

It's a $350 bench.  The vise hardware was the weakest point - the guide rods were made of thin-wall tubular steel and flexed under any load, so holding something square always required a shim block.

Just a thought but, he may not actually know..  He may just be repeating what he was told without ever looking into it.  He should have when he decided to sell it but, I tend to give people the benefit of doubt

• Like 1

Just a thought but, he may not actually know..  He may just be repeating what he was told without ever looking into it.  He should have when he decided to sell it but, I tend to give people the benefit of doubt

Yes I often run across folks who genuinely believe that their items really are worth some crazy inflated price.  Maybe they over paid, maybe they believed some BS fed to them.  That is probably at least as likely as it is that they are trying to cheat you.  Giving them the benefit of the doubt is best IMO.  In these cases either make them an offer for what it is worth to you or move on.

With what Micks said definitely gonna take a pass on this one. As an upgrade from the harbor freight bench I think I was willing to pay $575 for a bench worth that much but a bench worth $300 isn't much of an upgrade from what I have now. The poor vice quality is the deal killer.