Walnut Table w/ Elk Antler Base

osgw380

This is a walnut slab table that I put together using elk antler as the base.  This particular tree had been in a fire that killed it and I left a little bit of the burn on the end of the table with live edge.  The slab was to large to fit on my jointer or through my planer so I made a sled to hold my router and flattened the slab sitting on the top of my table saw.  I finished the top and the small shelf with poly oil blend.  The base is elk and red stag shed antlers.  I glued and screwed them all together and filled all the holes and colored the antlers to all match as close as possible.  The base is attached to the top using threaded inserts and bolts.  My wife really wants this for the house but I've got hopes of selling it.  It is about 34'' tall, 60'' long and 20'' wide.  With all the points sticking every where it is not the most kid friendly piece of furniture.

post-597-0-10568200-1436038502_thumb.jpg

post-597-0-37912500-1436038645_thumb.jpg

post-597-0-36050200-1436038788_thumb.jpg

post-597-0-81655400-1436039051_thumb.jpg

post-597-0-26196900-1436039144_thumb.jpg

post-597-0-21510600-1436039378_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the compliments. 

Jerry, I first attached the 4 antlers to the corners of the table then measured up and cut the horns off.  Then I flipped it and set the remainder of the horns on my bench and attached them to the other antlers.  It made several points of contact on the ground and it can handle a lot of weight....me anyway.  It has some side to side movement if you rock on it but its the horns moving just sort of the organic curves of the horns makes it hard to get real rigid.

That's awesome.  Totally not my taste, but awesome.  Well done.  Bet you could find some rich guy with a Rocky Mountain vacation home to give you a couple mortgage payments for that thing.

Its funny you should say that because me and the Mrs. are working hard to get our mortgage payed of and only like a year and half.  Thats exactly what I told her I could sell this and it would take away several months.

• Like 1

Is it hard to find the sheds , you might be on to something with a line of tables like these .

Shed hunting can be quite an ordeal. Elk live in some of the craziest mountain ranges this country has to offer. They also travel a huge area so finding a drop spit can be tough. Hours and hours on a 4 wheeler after the Bulls start shedding will often show nothing for your time.

This piece is beautiful. I don't blame your wife for wanting to keep it.

Is it hard to find the sheds , you might be on to something with a line of tables like these .

It is tough to find the sheds. For this piece it required 4 sheds over 36" in length to get the height that I needed. They can be purchased but are very expensive. I've seen a few similar tables but most use far less antler I suppose to cut down on the cost.

• Like 1

A friend of mine was training a hunting dog and taught him to fetch shed antlers (deer not elk). He had a pile of antlers you wouldn't believe! My friend made hat racks and all sorts of things with shed antlers. He gave a bunch to my brother to use for turning pens and things.

Rog