Walnut/Maple Brick Pattern End Grain Cutting Board

osgw380

This is a cutting board I recently had made.  It was a gift for a lady that her father had just past away.  Her father and his father were both wood workers and as per normal of us they had a hoard of nice lumber.  She had given me a small board of what she thought was pine that had been her grandfathers and she new it came from a stack 30 plus years old.  Once I held it I knew it was maple.  So I matched it up with some walnut that I had to make a gift for her as a reminder of her family's wood working past.  I must say I had a smile on my face the whole time I put this together (even all the sanding).  Everything seemed to come together perfect on this with no problems at all.  I told her that I'm sure he had saved the maple for something special all those years and I hoped it would have made him smile to see what it became.

The board is the same dimensions as thewoodwhisperer's board.  It is sanded up to 220 and finished with salad bowl finish.  I sanded this up with my festool ets and it has me now longing for a rotex. 

post-597-0-10146800-1436108619_thumb.jpg

post-597-0-12552500-1436108636_thumb.jpg

post-597-0-43681800-1436108653_thumb.jpg

Great looking board!  Doing something to preserve memories will always brings a smile.  Years back I made a breadbox for my mother and father in law.  The wood I used was from their old kitchen cabinets that they had just replace.  They always thought that was the coolest breadbox even though artistically it wasn't much.

Thanks for the compliments.  And I agree I would like the drum sander.  I have been sanding cutting boards with the belt sander then removing the scratches with the ets so I was think the rotex would remove the belt sander scratches faster plus be used on most other projects as well where a drum sander might not be used as often but will be an addition to the shop one of these days for sure.  Plus a domino, plus a larger planer, plus a larger jointer, plus......it never seems to end the needs of the shop or maybe most of those are wants?