Wood Pairing

Pwk5017

I recently had a client request a counter similar to this look. I have done numerous patterns before, but I haven't done such a subtle difference in stripes before. Also worries me a bit that this piece was stained in two batches(assuming with the DIY tag) to attain such a uniform color for each stripe. I don't like staining countertops, because I have seen numerous examples of them wearing like crap. I also generally try to avoid staining. What species could I use to achieve a similar look without staining? American walnut seems like the obvious choice for the darker stripe. I haven't worked with many different species, so my knowledge is a bit lacking to make the best choice for the lighter stripe. I have seen English walnut in videos, and it looks to be a shade lighter than American walnut. I am not sure I can source English walnut without it costing me an arm and a leg. Any other options come to mind? Thanks for the help!

post-15668-0-09747600-1436193520_thumb.j

I have built dulcimers in unstained black walnut and English walnut and the colors were similar to your picture with similar grain and texture to each other.  I have also used unstained black walnut and butternut together and the result was similar but with a bit more contrast.

I didn't have any trouble sourcing either butternut or English walnut from Groffs lumber in southeastern PA and prices weren't bad.  They are probably 4 hours or so drive from you, but I think they will ship.  Shipping can get expensive and I think they also charge more for all the extra handling and packing though.

I miss them now that I moved to Tallahassee.  I can't find much variety of hardwoods here.  I am definitely anxious for an excuse to drive the 1800 mile round trip and bring back a supply of a few species of lumber that I can't get here.  I'll hold off until I have another reason to go.

http://www.groffslumber.com/