Live edge walnut coffee table with maple insert

mds2

This is something that I have wanted to try for a couple years.  When I was digging through my stack of walnut I came across two pieces of a branch that were book matched.  Perfect.   I built this table by ripping off one of the live edges of each walnut piece.  I then made templates out of plywood.  I used those templates to match everything up.  I am very happy with how it turned out, though the table is a little small.  30"x17"x16".

b8holIYl.jpg
Wblikrzl.jpg
7oggD36l.jpg
QbnCmhdl.jpg
1gy02xwl.jpg
elqlxsBl.jpg
Ml5OFybl.jpg
8IWgVZyl.jpg

Edit: updated with new base.

YWBzMp9l.jpg

3C4N7o9l.jpg

Top looks awesome! I'm not a huge fan of the legs, they aren't horrible, but the table looks like it deserves more. I think square walnut legs with maple aprons or a smaller maple stretcher that mimics the top would have knocked it into the next realm. Really great job as it sits though!

I have to say I never thought the legs would generate the type of responses I've gotten.  Not just here but across the board.  It really seems when it comes to hairpin legs. It is either love them or hate them, LOL.

They turn me off visually, but that's not the reason I'm opposed to them.  We build things so that we can have the furniture we want but no one makes, and to create unique and interesting things.  To build that super cool table top then screw some commercially available legs under it is like putting a silk hat on a pig - or more accurately - putting a pig under a silk hat.  Hairpins are fine for people who don't know anything about building, but you're a craftsman...your work deserves better.  It just seems like a lazy move is all.

If you really like them, then that's all that matters.  Not trying to be critical, just honest. :)

Thanks!  I banged that out Saturday afternoon.  I had just enough maple left over from the center stripe to make the base.  and I mean JUST enough.  

I do like this base more, for this table.  I got too many "why would you put cheap ass legs on a fancy top" to let it be.  Not just from here, but across the board.  

Now THAT knocked it into the next realm! That top was begging for a nicer base, and you nailed it. Congratulations, you now have a piece of furniture that your family can brag about for generations. 

By the way...I really felt like crap for making any kind of negative remark earlier in this thread and almost hit the delete button 5 times. I know there is a fine line with interpretation between constructive criticism and knocking someones hard work. Your new pic makes me feel like I said the right thing.

Now THAT knocked it into the next realm! That top was begging for a nicer base, and you nailed it. Congratulations, you now have a piece of furniture that your family can brag about for generations. 

By the way...I really felt like crap for making any kind of negative remark earlier in this thread and almost hit the delete button 5 times. I know there is a fine line with interpretation between constructive criticism and knocking someones hard work. Your new pic makes me feel like I said the right thing.

I'll take honest criticism every time as long as someone isnt an asshole about it.   I find it is very difficult to get honest feedback from family and friends.  It's the case of "Well, my mom says I'm a catch" type thing.