Refrigeration

Coop

I have an older side by side, refrigerator/freezer in my shop and I keep soft drinks and bottled water and beer in the fridge. Neighbors have commented how cold the beer is and it has been almost frosty. I keep a thermometer in it and it stays around 37-39. I've noticed lately that the beer (and water) is not as cold as usual and just checked the temp and it's 59.

The freezer still freezes good. I don't know refrigeration from shineola. Does the fridge side get it's cold from the freezer or will it have it's own coolant?

Certainly doesn't have anything to do with woodworking but it's affecting my disposition!

If there is only one compressor clean the coils underneath ( or in the back) and defrost the entire fridge . Ice can build up in the air passage between the freezer and the fridge compartment. If the defrost timer or defrost heater fails ice can build up pretty fast.

Disassembling the lining of the freezer compartment will expose the inner cooling coils plus the defrost heater etc. Thawing overnight is easiest , helping w a hair dryer is faster and frustrating ( don't lay a running hair dryer inside a fridge, melting water will short it out !)

• Like 2

Most have the freezer supplying the refrig part with cold via that "vent" you see in the upper back of the refrig.

Your drain line in the back may have frozen and "glaciated" causing air flow to be restricted.

Try thawing the thing and then plug it back in and see how it goes.

Vacuum the dust out of the thing (behind the vent at the bottom front and also in the rear if the back is removable) before you go out getting a replacement.

Edit; Never mind...follow what Steve said.

• Like 1

Thanks guys. It seems that, according to a great video by Kenmore, that all of you could be right. It does have one compressor and the coils are clean(ish). Apparently there is a fan that blows cold air from the freezer to the fridge. So it could be the thermostat, or fan or ice buildup. Fortunately, only liquids are stored on this side and the back straps are safe on the freezer side. Tomorrow, I'll meter out everything and see where the problem lies.

Confirming my ignorance of refrigeration.

One site said to turn the temp up on the freezer to at least mid-range, and do the same on the fridge. I did this last night and freezer is now at 2* and the fridge is at 37* and walla, cold beer again. Makes no sense to me other than it said the connecting hole might be frozen. Saved on a repairman, parts and kept from getting IBS from warm beer!

• Like 1