Hi im Matt

MattSC

Hi Im Matt I live in Clover, SC. I've been lurking on this forum for about a year now. I grew up watching Roy Underhill on Pbs (in Black and White) also This Old House as well as New Yankee Workshop. I was in awe of Roy and Norm back then. With the knowledge I picked up in the last year that awe is even greater now.

Ive been doing Home Improvements DIY carpentry for about 10 years. One or two years ago I started replacing the plywood subfloor and flooring in the bedroom. I needed a transition at the threshold from 3/4" to 1/8" I went to Lowes and they didnt have one so i built one. *smiles in rememberance* I marked up a piece of 4/4 whitewood lumber and started to chisel. I got too agressive with the chisel and heard the crack noise. I had my brother cut the profile on a tablesaw and hand sanded the rest with 80 grit then 120 grit then 220 grit. I ran my hand across the wood and felt that smoooooth sanded surface and I fell in love with woodworking then. While i researched how to stain and finish wood I would take the transition in hand whenever anyone visited and would say "feel my wood.... Isnt it smooth". I know at 41 years of age at the time I was way too excited. I was sure I sanded all of the "crack" out (from the chisel). It showed up VERY noticable after the stain and finish but besides that I was very proud of myself. I was going to redo it but my wife said it added character lol.

I've been to other woodworking forums but always came back to this one. Besides I really like Marc's youtube videos (which led me here).

In the past year I've been building up my tool chest, researching all I can about Woodworking, and honing my sharpening skills *pun intended.

Welcome Matt, I'm Tom... and I'm and addict.

A few things you'll learn here.

1) Drink the Kool-Aid, it's real tasty

2) There's a lot of information to be learned

3) We're really helpful (sometimes that help may come in the form of sarcasm)

4) Tails First

5) Lie Neilsen and Veritas are the same thing, it's a matter of preference at this point.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the warm welcomes.

Glad to have here, Matt!

I'd be more careful who you ask to "feel your wood", though...

Lol great advise

welcome matt

other forums?

Off the top of my head I can think of the knots at FWW and ncwoodworkers.net. I cant remember the others.

Welcome Matt, I'm Tom... and I'm and addict.

A few things you'll learn here.

1) Drink the Kool-Aid, it's real tasty

2) There's a lot of information to be learned

3) We're really helpful (sometimes that help may come in the form of sarcasm)

4) Tails First

5) Lie Neilsen and Veritas are the same thing, it's a matter of preference at this point.

Wait Lie Neilsen and Veritas are the same? I already cant keep straight between Lie Nielsen and Lee Valley hehe

Thanks for the tips