Milling stock square

trz

Milling stock square I started out with a 3x3x12 " blank. I ran one edge over jointer turned that edge against the fence and ran the second edge.
Went to the planer and ran edge one on the table to make edge one and three parellel, but they're not!'!! So what gives? It has to be the planer doesn't it?
By the way, I squared the jointer fence to table before I started.

So, it's hard to detect the problem on such narrow stock, so I found a piece of one by four and ran one face several times across the jointer.

What I ended up with is a nice wedge shaped 1x4!!!!

So I guess I'll start with a total jointer tune-up.

Tilt box, if you don't know what this is check it out, I use it for all my equipment, to make sure it's square or to give perfect angles http://www.woodworkingshop.com/product/bk70012/?inMed=GSTORE&gclid=COPNhtKU08YCFYwYHwod21QPVA. even using a square you can be off , but this digital angle finder will put in on the money everytime, I now swear by it, reading the post one problem I would find is pressure being used not being consistant, (wher the hell is spell check) this will also cause stock to tapper, I do something a little diffrent once I get a flat side I will take my stock to the table saw and make my square edge then go back to the plainer,

==>Next Step?
So I’m now totally confused – by both the OP and folks making recommendations...

It appears you followed the initial testing outlined, and got a flat face and 90d edge. Assuming you verified both using a reasonable straight-edge and squares, then that part's done -- right? If so, I’m very confused by your 'total jointer tune-up'... IF you have a flat face in plane and 90d along the length, then the jointer is 99.99% there... No tune-up required.

==>What I ended up with is a nice wedge shaped 1x4!!!!
99% of longitudinal tapering is down to technique and/or the outfeed table set too high... The latter is a 30 second fix, the former takes a lifetime... :)

What kind of jointer do you have?   There are numerous posts on adjusting outfeed table height... Here’s the first one I googled: http://woodworkerszone.com/wiki/index.php?title=Setting_jointer_outfeed_table

@ncflower -- those boxes are not accurate enough to setup a machine -- I know, I've got that exact model... While very handy... They get you close, but that's about all...

@everyone else -- it's easy to toss-out ideas, but several posts have little to do with the test condition and results posted by the OP... It's easy to confuse a newbie trying to setup a machine...

Trip, my post was in reference to the fact that his stock wasn't square, which made me wonder if he used a square that wasn't quite square to set his jointer fence. The comment about the taper I offer no advice on because I don't follow how he's getting a taper.

Okay. Maybe we should back up and I'll try not to jump ahead of your advice.

While I may have a lot of questions I'm not exactly a newbie I've been a hobbiest for several years. Just haven't come across these issues before.

So we'll back up to the beginning.

I have the delta 37-190 jointer and the delta 22-560 planer. I've had both for many years and they've served me well.

While the square I'm using isn't a machinists square it measures square on other machines and cuts . So that's not the issue.

So, on the approx. 3x3x12 blank I pass side one over the jointer and it's flat put that side against the fence and joint side two and it's 90sq.

Next step