Beech for benches

Brendon_t

It seems like historically, European beech was a very popular bench material. Even today, a lot of high end magazine order benches are beech.

Any reason it's not more popular with diy bench builders?

Here in southern California, 8/4 is readily available and a bit cheaper than hard maple.

Plus it smells amazing

Availability varies wildly across the country, like most other species. I've never seen a stick of European Beech in person.

Hmm, I figured it was available everywhere.

Well that makes some sense.. I can't get walnut to save my life but beech is like red oak. .

I just got off the horn with Bonhoff lumber in Vernon CA. He currently has about 1700 bf of 8/4 European steamed beech 8'and better at $3.36/bf.

Is the steamed a good thing or bad thing when it comes to beech? I won't touch steamed walnut for free but am not sure about beech.

Since most hardwoods grow east of the Mississippi, my guess is exotics and domestics are more simlarly priced in California.

Mike, your assumption is pretty dead on. Hardwoods, with the exception of Ash, is all imported for us so the discrepancy of price is narrow. We can get about any coniferous species you want for a nickel and a haND shake though.

If I were building a bench and good get it, I would.  I have a little Lervad that I bought new in 1977 made from European Beech.  It's never caused me any concern, has been in all sorts of environments, the vise rods slide through the Beech with no other bearings, gets used a lot, and still works flawlessly.  I've never done a thing to it but use it.  I never broke my toys when I was little either though.