Opinion on Band Saws?

Lee Bussy

Yeah, and I can't understand that. It's OK for Mathias, he doesn't really care about tools, the man built his own everything, but Allan has tons of high quality tools from Festool, Veritas, etc. Why build a planer? I don't get it.

Maybe to get a 12" jointer for a $500 or so investment? Hard to do that off the showroom floor, even from grizzly ...

Granted, the table is kinda short for such width, but I guess it works for him.

My first bandsaw was a 12" craftsman that I got used for $50.00. Since I got that one I have seen two more of the exact same thing for the same price. They won't do much for re-saw but for light work they were great. I currently have the 14" Laguna someone mentioned in a previous post. Very happy with it, but if you are looking for a more commercial operation , I  would opt for a little higher quality. The Laguna has the power and accuracy that I need for the stuff i  build. Resaws reasonably well but don't buy cheap blades.  Paid $1,000, but still needed to buy blades for it. Have had it for almost two years now and still happy with it,

@LBussey, ever check out Izzy Swan's '$50 woorkshop' series on youtube? I think he got sidetracked and never completed the series, but he was building a shop from $50 and a few very basic tools.

Kinda funny - people typo my handle here the same way they typo my last name.   :D

I'll go check that out, thanks.  Seems like just the sort of thing I'd be interested in.  I mean I've already spent WAY more than that, but that's the sort of information that can stretch a dollar, or at least waste some time watching. :)

My first bandsaw was a 12" craftsman that I got used for $50.00. Since I got that one I have seen two more of the exact same thing for the same price. They won't do much for re-saw but for light work they were great. I currently have the 14" Laguna someone mentioned in a previous post. Very happy with it, but if you are looking for a more commercial operation , I  would opt for a little higher quality. The Laguna has the power and accuracy that I need for the stuff i  build. Resaws reasonably well but don't buy cheap blades.  Paid $1,000, but still needed to buy blades for it. Have had it for almost two years now and still happy with it,

Used it definitely the way to go if I get a small one.  They do seem plentiful.

I think I'm goig to pick up that sander today and check out the jigsaws they have - just to get me going.  Those seem like tooks I won;t grow out of too soon and fairly versatile.

-->Opinion on Band Saws?

Yes, you should own one... Two would be better, but that's another thread... :)

That's not too far off topic.

I have a Craftsman 9" band saw. No fence, little power, and all the short comings that others have indicated.

Nevertheless, when I got my 14" saw I kept the Craftsman for curves so I can keep the 14" saw set up for resawing.

The 9" saw is not an adequate saw for general furniture making, but it is an okay saw for a 1/4" blade and 4/4 stock.

Clamp a board on for a fence, get the thing tracking somewhat straight, and you could make a Rogowski Box or the like.

IMHO, skip the jigsaw, but s scroll saw and do your curve cutting on it, jigsaws are great for finishing cuts in the birds mouths of rafter tails, not so great at making square curves in hardwood.

Sadly, my father had a very nice scroll saw that was given away before he passed.  At the time I had a full truck and no immediate need for one so I let someone else have it.  In hindsight I should have kept as many of his tools as possible.

I got to try out a few different jig saws down at the box store.  There was a noticeable difference even using the same blades between the $50 and the $150 saws.  I didn't pull the trigger (if you will excuse the pun) but I have my answer on the quality of the cut.  It's not a "finish ready" cut by any stretch of the imagination, but a careful feed and correct blade choice can make some pretty nice cuts.

I *really* appreciate all the comments and guidance in this thread.  I know I may have frustrated a few of you - but I suspect I am not the first one to do so. :)   If nothing else I have paused for further consideration and we'll see what I do.

A new development in my shop world though since I started this thread:  I joined a local woodworking guild and just did the safety orientation yesterday.  They have three very nice band saws there, as well as a shop full of other things I can't afford (like a 4' wide surface sander).  It's nowhere near as convenient as doing it at home, but it gives me a lot of options.