Hello from Chicago

Woody1

Can you be more specific?   There's a few of us from Chicago around these parts.   I'm in Prospect Heights on the NW side...few guys around the forum from Glenview, Naperville, etc and several flatlanders from down in Central IL but we don't associate with them much. =p

• Like 1

I'm in Skokie. Nice to see so many fellow woodworkers nearby! 

Snip snap. Drop everything and go to The Pita Inn. I miss that place so much and someone needs to enjoy it. Also, right down the road is Portillos. Allow me to live vicariously through you.

Snip snap. Drop everything and go to The Pita Inn. I miss that place so much and someone needs to enjoy it. Also, right down the road is Portillos. Allow me to live vicariously through you.

3 minutes from my house. Good stuff  :P

• Like 1

Do you guys know any public shops that allow use of their equipment? I know some of the schools have shops but you have to take their classes. I'm looking for a place that would let me use their planers occasionally, or any other tool I may not have.

• 7 months later...
40 minutes ago, jordan said:

No. I have the luxury of working from home mostly. A drive downtown is 1.5 hours without traffic!

Yea I have a friend that lives in Cary...he rides the UP-NW line to/from Fox River Grove every day...I'd go insane. :P

• 9 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Hello from Naperville! Relatively new woodworker here- decided back in January that I wanted to start building "real" furniture for my house. Have done a few simpler projects so far- biggest one was a live edge walnut slab coffee table... but have a lot of much bigger, more exciting things on the docket. Kitchen table with extending leaves, Morris Chair, sideboard, some jewelry boxes for my girls, walnut sit/stand desk for my wife, etc. Spent most of the first half of the year building up my basement shop and getting a nice big workbench built, and am finally starting to get down to making things. I've grabbed a few of the existing Guild projects and have also purchased the current Early Bird bundle, and may be building along with Marc & Matt on some of those.

Looking forward to being part of the community here!

35 minutes ago, Kurt Triebe said:

Hello from Naperville! Relatively new woodworker here- decided back in January that I wanted to start building "real" furniture for my house. Have done a few simpler projects so far- biggest one was a live edge walnut slab coffee table... but have a lot of much bigger, more exciting things on the docket. Kitchen table with extending leaves, Morris Chair, sideboard, some jewelry boxes for my girls, walnut sit/stand desk for my wife, etc. Spent most of the first half of the year building up my basement shop and getting a nice big workbench built, and am finally starting to get down to making things. I've grabbed a few of the existing Guild projects and have also purchased the current Early Bird bundle, and may be building along with Marc & Matt on some of those.

Looking forward to being part of the community here!

Welcome Kurt.  The Guild Shaker Table is a good all around skill builder if you haven't already purchased that one.

20 hours ago, Chet said:

Welcome Kurt.  The Guild Shaker Table is a good all around skill builder if you haven't already purchased that one.

Hah- my wife would kill me if I started doing projects just for practice, and delayed our real projects by another few months! The desk and kitchen table builds should actually be fairly easy, I think- no complicated joinery, the only real challenge is just getting the stock milled and jointed perfectly flat so that my glue-ups go smoothly. Unfortunately, I took the cheap route on my jointer, and just have a benchtop model with a fairly short table. To get a perfectly straight, glue-up ready edge on the 66-70" long boards, I'll either need to learn how to tackle those with a hand plane, or I'll have to build precision adjustable infeed/outfeed tables for the jointer, to effectively extend the length from the current 30-32" to a more useful 60"+ length. Once I solve that problem it's off to the races on both of these builds.