Table saw jointin

Cliff

So I had to purchase some 8/4 cedar from big box store due to time constraints (saw mill is hour drive.) Every single piece cupped and bowed. 

I cut them in half, as they are 2x8, and my benchtop jointer is 6 1/4" and squared them up. Everything looked good. Then I tried to glue them and every one of them were bowed. so yes each side was square, but when laid next to each other there would be a gap in the middle or at the ends. 

So, I think I'll make a jointing jig for the table saw, but I don't like the idea of some I've seen involving screwing into the wood to secure it. Anyone got one that doesn't involve this and can do long pieces? currently I'm doing 5 foot boards but there will be 9 foot boards at some point - though they will be walnut from the saw mill so should be ok.  

Just a piece of plywood and hold down clamps. Jay Bates has a video on one he made using bolts for makeshift clamps.

I'll check him out. I've seen probably 5 different videos and they all apparently have a ton of scrap on the piece and just screw into it. 

That's pretty perfect. No miter bar right? Though I'd have to make the hold down clamps adjustable for width. Right now the pieces I'm doing are about 3 inches wide because I had to rip them to fit onto my jointer to face joint. [

They really are a lot more simple than I thought.

I guess I'm confused...if you have a jointer, why do you need to joint them on the table saw?

Box store lumber will always give you fits...it's not dried properly and it's garbage wood to start with...pithy and cut from young trees that are grown in about 15 minutes.  If you look at the end grain of the 2x4s you'll see each board has about five growth rings.  Fine for finishing your basement...not fine for fine woodworking.  I know you're working with cedar and not SPF white wood...but it's the same concept.

This is why it's recommended you spend the extra hour to drive to a real lumberyard.  How much time are you wasting now dealing with that junk? ;)

That's pretty perfect. No miter bar right? Though I'd have to make the hold down clamps adjustable for width. Right now the pieces I'm doing are about 3 inches wide because I had to rip them to fit onto my jointer to face joint. [

They really are a lot more simple than I thought.

The jig from Bates is adjustable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SW580dHgls

I guess I'm confused...if you have a jointer, why do you need to joint them on the table saw?

Box store lumber will always give you fits...it's not dried properly and it's garbage wood to start with...pithy and cut from young trees that are grown in about 15 minutes.  If you look at the end grain of the 2x4s you'll see each board has about five growth rings.  Fine for finishing your basement...not fine for fine woodworking.  I know you're working with cedar and not SPF white wood...but it's the same concept.

This is why it's recommended you spend the extra hour to drive to a real lumberyard.  How much time are you wasting now dealing with that junk? ;)

Because a benchtop jointer doesn't have a long enough bed to take the bow out of five foot boards.

I know that about the lumber I got. My hope was that because it was WRC and stored outside it wouldn't be too bad. But, they really don't have a clue how to dry wood at those places.

It's a huge hassle for me to go get 40-50 bf of wood. I don't have a truck and it's an hour away, and the saw mill closes at 4 on weekdays, 11 on Saturdays. That means I have to be up and ready to go by 9 or so Saturday morning, get my stepdad with his truck to help me and take at least 2-3 hours out of his day. That's enough of a problem. Add on to that is that it's constantly raining here, so there aren't that many nice Saturdays and those nice Saturdays - he needs to spend out in the field because he's a farmer and hay doesn't cut & rake itself.

So unless I wanted to wait 3 months for the planets to align, I had to run over to Menards where my stepdad can make it a 20 minute trip while he's on his way somewhere.

In other words, I need a truck.

The jig from Bates is adjustable:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6SW580dHgls

Yeah, and I think it will be cheaper since I can use the bolts. I just need to extend it. Probably a full 8 feet since I'm going to have to get a new sheet of ply anyway to make it.

Because a benchtop jointer doesn't have a long enough bed to take the bow out of five foot boards.

I know that about the lumber I got. My hope was that because it was WRC and stored outside it wouldn't be too bad. But, they really don't have a clue how to dry wood at those places.

It's a huge hassle for me to go get 40-50 bf of wood. I don't have a truck and it's an hour away, and the saw mill closes at 4 on weekdays, 11 on Saturdays. That means I have to be up and ready to go by 9 or so Saturday morning, get my stepdad with his truck to help me and take at least 2-3 hours out of his day. That's enough of a problem. Add on to that is that it's constantly raining here, so there aren't that many nice Saturdays and those nice Saturdays - he needs to spend out in the field because he's a farmer and hay doesn't cut & rake itself.

So unless I wanted to wait 3 months for the planets to align, I had to run over to Menards where my stepdad can make it a 20 minute trip while he's on his way somewhere.

In other words, I need a truck.

You need to set aside a weekend and come down to U-Pick in St. Louis, bring the truck and the credit card, stock up.  I'll meet you up there anytime you want, so no excuses.  Chicago's like a five hour drive...I don't know where in IL you are but it can't be much farther than that.  You can go to a Cardinals game while you're here if you'd like to watch a real baseball team play. :D

You need to set aside a weekend and come down to U-Pick in St. Louis, bring the truck and the credit card, stock up.  I'll meet you up there anytime you want, so no excuses.  Chicago's like a five hour drive...I don't know where in IL you are but it can't be much farther than that.  You can go to a Cardinals game while you're here if you'd like to watch a real baseball team play. :D

Well, Chicago is a 3 hour drive. Suburbs, which I go to often, about 2 hours 20 minutes depending on where. St. Louis is 3 hours 15 mins according to google.

I must tell you. I swore off baseball 5 years ago. Haven't watched a game, looked at a score, followed anything that has anything to do with it. I noticed that the only stress in my life was the stress that comes from being a huge Cubs fan and just severed all ties. :) I think it was when they were going into the playoffs against the Braves and got swept when Lou was still manager. I got predrunk at my home, then went to the bar to watch them lose the last game of that series and that was it. I can't support a team that refuses to win and I can't support any other team, ever so baseball is dead to me!

Baseball isn't a real sport, guys slapping each other's asses and scratching themselves after just standing around waiting for someone to strike out.  The pitcher is the only one that's really doing anything. That and the poor catcher squatting for hours.

• Like 2

Baseball isn't a real sport, guys slapping each other's asses and scratching themselves after just standing around waiting for someone to strike out.  The pitcher is the only one that's really doing anything. That and the poor catcher squatting for hours.

He has to talk up his Cardinals to help cover up the chokefest postseason from the Blues...

• Like 2

I made one similar to higtron's. Doesn't need to be fancy to work, mine is made from 1/2 inch rough spruce plywood (but with a carefully squared up edge). I used this type of clamp due to cheapness and availability:

41lfPr6Rq3L._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

The only other comment I'd make is that you may not want just one at 8 feet. If you're jointing shorter boards, manoeuvring the full 8 foot jig onto the table saw is going to be a pain. I've got my jig at 4 feet, and that's close to the limit before I'd have to set up infeed support in addition to a roller stand on the outfeed.

He has to talk up his Cardinals to help cover up the chokefest postseason from the Blues...

The only thing that means less to me than hockey is soccer.  Football is a close third-to-last.

So take that, Tom.  Only a football meathead wouldn't understand baseball...the greatest sport ever invented...and subsequently ruined by corporations.  But at least it was great once.

As for traveling around the country delivering lumber?  Mmm, no thanks.  They have guys in brown uniforms who do that job just fine. :)

I made one similar to higtron's. Doesn't need to be fancy to work, mine is made from 1/2 inch rough spruce plywood (but with a carefully squared up edge). I used this type of clamp due to cheapness and availability:

41lfPr6Rq3L._AC_UL160_SR160,160_.jpg

The only other comment I'd make is that you may not want just one at 8 feet. If you're jointing shorter boards, manoeuvring the full 8 foot jig onto the table saw is going to be a pain. I've got my jig at 4 feet, and that's close to the limit before I'd have to set up infeed support in addition to a roller stand on the outfeed.

Yup. I thought of that too. My thinking is I'll build two, a 3 or 4 foot version then a bigger one. That way I'm covered. I know I got a project coming up (computer desk build - the reason I started this in the first place) that will have 9 foot walnut boards so if they warp I will need to be able to fix them.

I think Eric should load up a huge flatbed with all different types of hardwoods and drive around the country selling the wood to people that have limited lumber choices.

This would be really handy. Though I have to say, my lumber place is incredible. They have super high quality wood at great prices and they give me discounts. I'd like to think they discount me because they like me but I think it's cause he knows that I'm that guy that drops tons of cash until he goes into bankruptcy. How can I not though.. $6/bf walnut (discounted - $5.50.) I want to remake everything in my house in walnut. And build a walnut floor that will cover the grass..

The only thing that means less to me than hockey is soccer.  Football is a close third-to-last.

So take that, Tom.  Only a football meathead wouldn't understand baseball...the greatest sport ever invented...and subsequently ruined by corporations.  But at least it was great once.

As for traveling around the country delivering lumber?  Mmm, no thanks.  They have guys in brown uniforms who do that job just fine. :)

And ruined by free agency which led to that cursed DH in the junior circuit.

And where did free agency come from? The Cardinals. Curt Flood.

Take that, anti-Cub!  :-)