Spanish Cedar Opportunity

Keggers

I have an opportunity to buy some 8/4 Spanish cedar. The boards are between 10" and 16" wide and 12 feet long. The asking price is $1.45 bf. I'm not at all familiar with Spanish cedar and was wondering if anyone has used it and if it's a wood that woodworkers like to work with. There is approximately 500 bf available. I have not seen this lumber and really don't konw what grade it will be. I know it is kiln dried and that's all.

According to what Bell Forrest is selling their 8/4 Spanish cedar for - it's a bargain at $1.45 bf. I'm not wanting to get a bunch of this stuff if there is no demand for it. Any help or opinions is appreciated.

Kent

We have some 4/4 at our place and if I remember correctly the price is something like $11-12/bf.  The reason I can't remember is because no one EVER buys it.  I took a couple boards home just to have it in stock in case I build a humidor one day.  But honestly it just doesn't impress me.  It's super light and soft and kind of bland looking.  Unless you wanted it for a specific purpose like a humidor I can't think of a reason it would be desirable.  I'm sure there are other good uses for it but I don't know what they are.

That said, if it's genuine Spanish cedar, that's a crazy price and I might just grab it up and consider it a long tail product...it'll take a while to unload it but the ROI could be insane.

• Like 1

What’s the old saying – if something’s too good to be true...

Unless something is seriously wrong, there is no way they are selling 8/4 16”wide sticks of genuine Spanish Cedar for $1.47... Maybe $10.47...

Like I said, I haven't actually laid eyes on the wood. It's being sold by a VERY reputable company and when they called me yesterday with the offer - knowing I sell wood on the internet-  I really had no idea of what Spanish cedar was. The price quoted WAS $1.45 per board foot for 8/4.  I have to admit that my first thought was "why don't they sell it on the internet themselves." It's about a three hour one way drive to where the wood is located. I might just have to take a day off and go see it.

We have some 4/4 at our place and if I remember correctly the price is something like $11-12/bf.  The reason I can't remember is because no one EVER buys it.  I took a couple boards home just to have it in stock in case I build a humidor one day.  But honestly it just doesn't impress me.  It's super light and soft and kind of bland looking.  Unless you wanted it for a specific purpose like a humidor I can't think of a reason it would be desirable.  I'm sure there are other good uses for it but I don't know what they are.

That said, if it's genuine Spanish cedar, that's a crazy price and I might just grab it up and consider it a long tail product...it'll take a while to unload it but the ROI could be insane.

That comment about no one every buys it might explain the great offer I received. I just called the salesman that I spoke with yesterday to ask a few more questions and got his voicemail. I don't know if the wood is twisted, cupped or what. I did read that it's great wood for a humidor. I'll post more info when I get it.

I've decided not to buy this Spanish cedar. Not sure how much of a market I'd find for it. So, anyone interested and close enough to take advantage of the price - you can find the 8/4 cedar at Grizzly Industrial in Springfield, Mo. They don't have it on their floor yet but I'm sure they'll sell it to you if you ask someone. The price quoted to me was $1.45 per bf. They have approximately 900 bf available.

The salesman I spoke with is a good friend and he said the boards were nice ones.