Tipuana Tipu aka yellow jacaranda

Brendon_t

I was at a sawyer friends house this morning helping him section and cut an 11000 lb oak log. We took a break and I walked through the dring stacks and saw this beautiful wood. It is yellow in color, very dense with close tight pores. anybody ever worked with this stuff?

Mr Duncan, here is a picture as promised and as suspected, the yellow doesn't come through well. In person, it's between yellow and lime green. That is hard maple stood up next to it. The wood mills well and comes off the planer very smooth and shiney. The fingernail test tells me this stuff is quite hard.

post-16319-0-57586600-1437795130_thumb.j

Very neat to see wood that so little info was readily available about it. You should check with member " phinds " he collects wood and posts photographs on his website. I didn't find your tipuana on his site. He might want a small sample or some pictures. I think a clear well sanded picture of end grain is key to a positive identification.

Unless you are a teenager I'm just Steve, my dad is Mr. Duncan !

Thanks for the picture !

Your mullet is older than I am.

I offed to send him a sample. He wasn't really interested because it realty isn't a common available wood.

It is a pretty cool wood with some beautiful grain. I look forward to figuring out what I'm going to do with it.