band saw blades

Beechwood Chip

I just got my first bandsaw, a Grizzly G0555LANV - 14".  Specs say that it takes a 93.5" blade from 3/4" to 1/8".

From the little reading I've done, I get the feeling that a "combo" blade won't do a great job of resawing, and also won't cut tight curves easily.  And, every time I change blades I'll have to  re-tune a bit (not like a table saw). People seem to respect Timberwolf, but there are several other decent brands.  And, the stock blade is barely worth using.

So, I'm thinking of getting a 3423VPC 93.5" by 3/4"  by 2/3 TPI Timber Wolf Bandsaw Silicone Steel Low Tension Resaw Blade for $32, and a Timber Wolf Bandsaw Blade 93.5'' x 1/4" x 4 TPI for $24.

I looked at 1/8" 14 TPI blades, but 1/8" just seemed too delicate to me.

Does this seem like a reasonable approach?

Also, can anyone explain the difference in price between this blade and this one?  They seem to be identical.

Any other advice?  I'm a total bandsaw newbie.

Stay away from 3/4" blades with a 14" bandsaw, it won't tension properly, and you can resaw just fine with a 1/2" blade. I'd recommend the woodslicer, it is a great resawing blade, while your on the highland website check out their general purpose blades, I use the 1/4" and it's been a good blade as well. While your at it today check out this video, you'll be doing a lot less adjusting after blade changes if you follow his advice.

I'll tell you what I did....I called Timberwolf and spoke to a girl one time and a guy another time.  BOTH were soooo helpful asking me all sorts of questions about what I wanted to saw - green, dried, planed, etc and how much HP my saw had and the types of wood I'd primarily be sawing.....they seemed to know all the pertinent questions to ask.  I would not speculate....they make the blades...they know the blades.

We have the same saw and I will tell you that it will not properly tension a 3/4" blade. 1/2" is the thickest I have been able to get proper tension on.

Stay away from 3/4" blades with a 14" bandsaw, it won't tension properly, and you can resaw just fine with a 1/2" blade.

Timberwolf blades are low tension blades...you don't need that much spine to run them.  In fact, you feel all weird and dirty setting the blade per manufacturer instructions because it seems like it'll just fly off the wheels and cut your face off...but it doesn't.

I use an Olson 3/4" on a 14" Powermatic and the resaw quality and control are excellent. 

The Powermatic has the riser kit installed so the blade length is 105".

The Olsen specs are 3/4" width  .032 gage   3 TPI   Hook style   Raker set   model# FB27305DB  Flex Back

I see others are not recommending 3/4" blade on a 14" saw and their advice is sound however I have had very good results.

I'd suggest saving the Wood Slicer for resaw work, and use 1/4 or 3/8 for everything else. The Wood Slicer will work on more than resaw, but if you use it for your day to day work, it's certain that it will be dull when it comes time for resawing. At least that was my experience.

Highlands is great to work with and you will probably receive your blades before the cc clears!

I've seen the video Colin posted several times so didn't bother to watch it again. So I don't know if it's where I saw it, but there are recommendations that you hone the back side of the blade and it really helps when cutting curves.

Is Wood Slicer available from anywhere besides Highland? I started to check out but they only accept credit cards, no Paypal. I try to avoid giving my credit cards to individual merchants.

I like how they have a drop down menu for payment type, that only has one choice: credit card.

not that I have seen beechwood, the only other place I would think might be Amazon, but I seriously doubt it. The woodslicer is a highland product. For what it's worth, I've bought from them several times with no issues.

I have known the owners of Highland for over 35 years. But I understand your reluctance w credit cards. I've never seen the phone / internet staff but plenty of the staff knows me on sight.

Woodslicer on my 14" heavy duty Delta bandsaw has cut 8" thick dogwood and 11" poplar. Dogwood is brutally tough stuff !

==>1/2" Woodslicer as a general purpose blade to begin with

Not good for curves... But 'general purpose' and no-to-very-gentile curves would be ok... It's a 'thin kerf' band, so you've got to be careful with turning radius...

For general purpose, I use a TimberWolf or Lenox (which very nice, but more expensive)... I used to use high-end carbide blades that would last a long time and/or could be resharpened, now I get cheaper disposable bands... When a blade even starts to get dull, I toss it... My father-in-law purchases bulk Starrett and Lenox band stock and makes his own -- if you've got any metal working skills at all, it's the way to go...