Conditioning Pine with Shellac

jeninouray

In my attempt to match my pine windows with my alder trim, I conditioned a sample board with #1 shellac, coated with semi transparent stain, then rubbed in dark wax. It was a perfect match to the stained trim.

SO...I conditioned all my pine windows and now the semi transparent stain just will not "stick". 

Any ideas on how to get this water based stain to do the same thing it did on my sample board? 

Thanks...that's what I thought I would need to do. And yes, you may be also be correct that the wash coat was too thick.

One more question: have you found any problems with applying water based stain over shellac? I've always used a gel stain over it and love the final look and this was my first attempt using it under a water based semi transparent stain.

Thanks in advance for your advice!

Do a test board ! Over coat it w shellac, let it dry completely, scuff the surface, stain, top coat then abuse the surface. Hard rubbing, scratching w fingernails and even score the surface w a razor knife . Then wipe the surface w a damp rag and see if the stain layer makes the topcoat peel off or fail.

• Like 1