Potential Plane Purchase recommendation

Woodenskye

I know most posts about what would you buy is met with some resistance or other comments, but I really would appreciate the advise. My budget is $600-700. I would like to use hand tools more, so I can work at night. Currently my plane collection consists of a harbor freight smoother, and a buck bros (Borg) block plane. I do have LV router plane. So here is my research from today. If you have any or all and can recommend.

Package #1

LV low angle block plane PM V11

LV #4 smoother PM V11

LV medium shoulder plane

Package #2

Woodriver low angle adjustable mouth block plane

Woodriver medium shoulder plane

Woodriver V3 #4 smoother

Woodriver chisel plane

Woodriver flat spokeshave

Shinto rasp (based on Spags doing a brief bit on TWW Live)

I recently got a Woodriver V3 #4 and, while it's not a top of the line plane, I am very much satisfied.

It replaces a cheap Great Neck #4 that I had.

Besides honing the blade the Woodriver plane was good to go out of the box.

I based my purchase partly on Graham Haydon's

I ordered the low angle adj. mouth block plane and it should be here in a few days.

• Like 2

I would be inclined to go with option 1, but I would consider replacing the #4 with a bevel up jack, #62.  It's one of the most versatile planes out there and can be used as a scrub, smoother and more by changing the plane iron only.  In the long run, you'll most likely end up with a #4 anyway, but the low angle jack is more versatile. 

I would actually go a little bit different route. Personally I think shoulder planes are somewhat useless. A #4  is okay but really if have a good sander I would wait on a smoother. 

If you set on LV I would go with the following:

LV low angle block plane

LV Low Angle Jack plane

LV dovetail saw

a couple of the PM V11 Bench chisels.  (does not have to be an entire set, just get two)

If it were me and someone here is $700 buy some nice hand tools for me:

LN- Low Angle Jack Plane ( I have it and love it. So do several others. I have also used LV version and did not like the tote on it nearly as much as I like the tote on the LN)

LN- Rabbet Block Plane ( the versatility of this plane goes far beyond the uses of a normal LA block plane)

Two really nice chisels (I would go with 1/4" and 1/2" either LN or LV. I have LN's and I like the way they feel in my hand more than the LV PM V11's did. I also have a small set of the Narex Bench Chisels. They are okay but I would much rather have two or even one really nice chisels instead of the Narex set.)

LV dovetail saw (for the price it can't be beat. Again I have one and love it!)

Sharpening Medium (I would personally go with a combination stone to start out and then add a nice polishing stone later. I would also go with a simple wheel honing guide. I had the MKII and it was not very impressive.)

Between Canadian made LV and chinese knock offs, wood river its definitely a no brainer for me. If i can own North American the Chinese ones arent an option. I agree with james on the low angle jack. If you are mainly a power tool guy, get yourself few blades with it and you are set. I would still want a shoulder plane to round out the collection but swap the #4 for the jack.

James nailed it.

LAJ allows you to do some rough work, some jointing, some smoothing.

Add any block plane and you can do a lot of what needs to be done with just the two planes.

Then I'd add a large shoulder plane and a #80 cabinet scraper.  You're probably getting close to $600-700 by now.  If not, buy a couple card scrapers, a good marking gauge and a decent marking knife.  Either LV or LN for the planes, doesn't matter.

Thanks for the responses so far! All good information. I have chisels, dovetail saw and sharpening supplies, including the MKII.

Sorry, I was under the impression that the handles in your original post were the only hand tools that you had. I would still recommend the LN Low Angle Jack and LN Rabbet Block Plane and would also get another saw instead of another plane. LV has some nice saw options for a good price. I would get the LV Tenon (Rip) and LV Carcass Saw (crosscut), then add a $15 BORG hardpoint saw and you have enough hand tools to start building plenty of projects. If you want to be able to make rabbets you can set up a fence and use the LN Rabbet Block plane to make them. 

S-Mack is right if there are North American options that is was I go for as well.

Woodenskye I only dropped the chisel plane because I've not found the need for one, however I'm sure others do, hence can o' worms :-). Glad you liked the review, thanks for making the time to watch it. 

One thing that some people say about the WR totes is they suit a medium or small hand best, that's ok for me. If you have big ol' hands the veritas might be more comfy. 

Don't worry about it too much. Your list is pretty much should I buy these really good tools or these really good tools? Nice problem to have. Within reason most stuff can be made to work pretty well. I bought a new plane for £13.00 and it worked ok after a fettle. 

• Like 1

Ok, so I have changed some things and think I am ready to pull the trigger. So here is the plan:

Woodriver Low Angle Block Plane

Woodriver Low Angle Jack Plane

Woodriver medium shoulder plane

Shinto Rasp

I may still may drop the rasp and shoulder plane for a bit, because I realized while researching that a good vise may be better money spent. I am considering 2 front vise options one from Rockler and from Jorgensen.

I am going with Woodriver, because this Friday and Saturday they are having their anniversary sale and all planes are 15% off. Plus the short term free membership to Rob Cosman hand tool school doesn't hurt.

My budget is $600-700. I would like to use hand tools more, so I can work at night.

What do you want to build? That will influence the tool choice you make.

For example, you may need a jointer plane for larger work, but get away with a LA Jack if only doing small pieces, plus it can be used on a shooting board. 

In general, when starting out, I would advise that you purchase a tool when you see a need to use it.

Does anybody know the difference between the PM V11 blades from LV, versus the blades used by Lie Nielsen?

LV sell O1, A2 and PM-V11 steel, while LN only sells A2.  I could point you to a review/comparison I made between these steels, but it is on my website, and I am not permitted to link to it. Look in the "Tool Reviews" for tests on blade steels and also on the LV/Veritas Shooting Plane. 

PM-V11 will outlast A2 by a considerable margin, as well as creating an edge comparable to good O1 steel.

Regards from Perth

Derek

LV sell O1, A2 and PM-V11 steel, while LN only sells A2.  I could point you to a review/comparison I made between these steels, but it is on my website, and I am not permitted to link to it. Look in the "Tool Reviews" for tests on blade steels and also on the LV/Veritas Shooting Plane. 

PM-V11 will outlast A2 by a considerable margin, as well as creating an edge comparable to good O1 steel.

I see Derek's site linked here all the time...but I would advise you grab a drink before clicking, because there's a lot of info on his site and you'll just keep reading and re-reading...great stuff...