Reconditioned tools

pghmyn

How do you guys feel about reconditioned tools? I was lazy one night and did not lock my truck. I just thought it would be ok in my driveway. However, some POS decided to go in and take my drill bag. Which had my drill, battery, charger, and several bits whatnot. Now I have my impact driver, and 1 battery.

I want to buy the same brand again, because I don't want this impact driver to go to waste. And the charger alone is $40. I was really pleased with the performance of these drills.

I see a deal online for the drill, and a battery circ saw. 1.5ah and 4ah batteries. But it is reconditioned.

Any thoughts on reconditioned tools?

I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with recon tools because of the warranty; but since you're in the position you're in.....stop and think what you liked and disliked about the old tools/set up.  This may be a time to upgrade, or go a little different direction on features.

I wouldn't necessarily have a problem with recon tools because of the warranty; but since you're in the position you're in.....stop and think what you liked and disliked about the old tools/set up. This may be a time to upgrade, or go a little different direction on features.

It was the 20v Lithium Porter Cable drill/impact driver set. The battery life was awesome, and they were powerful. I had absolutely no complaints about the set, other than the gaudy "manly" casing for the tools.

I think I might just spring on the deal. Having 3 batteries to share now will be nice.

I buy most of my cordless tools from CPO. Usually it's just returned open box tools a retailer returned. Maybe 1 in 100 new tools goes through quality control. All refurb tools get checked over by a technician, usually right here in the USA.

After you have 3 or 4 batteries and at least a couple of chargers it can be smart to buy bare tools which are much cheaper because of no batt & charger( or accessories)

CPO has pages for most major brands. Just look for CPO/PorterCable

• Like 1

This is my first post on here, but I've been lurking for some time.  A while back I bought the Porter Cable reconditioned drill, impact driver, 2 batteries, and quick charger on ebay (was direct from Porter Cable, though).  One of the best purchases I have made.  They work perfectly, and were a screaming deal.  Been going strong for nearly a year now.

I would say go for it, but I'm someone whose entire woodshop is comprised of used or reconditioned tools.

Steve is right.  Even if a tool is unused, if it gets returned to the Manufacturer it can't be sold as new.  Even if the tool has been repair, it usually has now had its one glitch of its life.  Not that it is a tool but I have a reconditioned Bose system that is turned on almost daily that is now 26 years old.  I would do it again.

I buy most of my cordless tools from CPO. Usually it's just returned open box tools a retailer returned. Maybe 1 in 100 new tools goes through quality control. All refurb tools get checked over by a technician, usually right here in the USA.

After you have 3 or 4 batteries and at least a couple of chargers it can be smart to buy bare tools which are much cheaper because of no batt & charger( or accessories)

CPO has pages for most major brands. Just look for CPO/PorterCable

Good to know, thanks.

What does CPO stand for?

I look reconditioned on everything - computers, phones, appliances, electronics, and tools - as long as the warranty is the same as new.

My iphone, miter saw, and Mac Book Pro for instance are all reconditioned and all of them still work today.