Need some advice

delegante

I built all new upper cabinets in the kitchen, refinished lowers and built new doors and drawers for all the cabinets. The door frames are solid maple with a 1/4" maple plywood panel. They were finished with an oil based general finishes stain and then 4 coats of minwax poly. A couple of the doors are showing some weird mark on the bottom of the plywood panel. All are lower doors which makes me think water damage but one is on the island which isn't even close to the sink. Any ideas?

post-3459-0-32416200-1437319238_thumb.jp

post-3459-0-19542400-1437319250_thumb.jp

post-3459-0-81840900-1437319268_thumb.jp

More coats of a better finish. Do some test panels, finish like the original doors then scuff and add a few coats of a more water resistant finish. Let it dry for several days or more to completely cure then test with water, ketchup, mustard, mayo etc just like the stuff likely to get splashed or dripped on a base cabinet door.

Minwax wipe on poly? Try this. Wipe the "stained" area down with mineral spirits. If the water marks disappear or mostly disappear, as I think they will, then you can fix this.

If water can get under the finish then mineral spirits and fresh oil should be able to penetrate too. The best thing to do is apply another liberal coat of wipe on poly. Maybe thin it about 10-15% with mineral spirits. You want it to soak in as much as possible to get the color back. Give it 10 minutes or so. Then wipe off the excess. Let it cure for a couple of days and the wipe on a couple more coats concentrating on the areas where water might accumulate. At this point if you want to top coat it with something else spray on two coats of shellac and then you can spray a coat of lacquer.

I suspect the stain had not fully cured and the original poly didn't seal the wood. Read those instructions on the can good and error on the side of letting it dry too much. Especially if you are building up coats of wipe on poly.

Let us know if this works. I did the same steps on some cabinets in our kitchen and you have to really look close to see the water stains.