I need an engineer's square

Nick2cd

I need a nice and precise engineer's square to use when setting up my jointer and table saw. im sure i will find other uses for it as well. i don't want one that costs a fortune. i have looked at some that rockler carries and i think they are actually the rockler brand. any suggestions on where to get one? something in either 6" or 9" range.

I need a nice and precise engineer's square to use when setting up my jointer and table saw. im sure i will find other uses for it as well. i don't want one that costs a fortune. i have looked at some that rockler carries and i think they are actually the rockler brand. any suggestions on where to get one? something in either 6" or 9" range.

I'd suggest a Starrett square. There is none better - in my humble opinion. A new one is kind of pricey, but maybe you can find a bargain on eBay.

If you're looking for fairly inexpensive. I believe Woodcraft has a four pack of the Groz engineer's squares on sale this month for under $30 (they're usually about $70). 2, 3, 4 and 6 inch. According to their spec sheets the six inch one is accurate to within 0.00063 inches. Which should be plenty accurate for any woodworking use, and at that price is a good bargain.

If I wanted super-precise, I'd probably go with Starrett or another $$$ brand. I wanted "good enough for amateur woodworking" and I picked up a set of four at the Grizzly warehouse for maybe $15. Save the extra $$ for a different purchase.

Keep in mind, a Starrett combo square isn't an engineer's square (those are the metal non-adjustable squares), which is what the OP was asking about. As good as the Starrett's are, I doubt they're going to be more precise than an engineer's square. They have moving parts which are going to put in some slop no matter how well built they are. That's not a bash on the Starrett combo-squares, for what they are they're extremely good, but for a dead square setup I'd go with an engineer's square, even a modestly priced one over a Starrett combo. In fact looking at the Starrett numbers they claim accuracy to within .001" for the 6 inch and .002" for the 12 inch, which is actually worse than the less expensive engineer's square sets available.

check out the "Precision Steel Squares" at Peachtree, they are on my tools to buy list.

They are stainless steel (no rust, yea), and their shape means they won't fall of the work piece. Thus I won't need that third hand transplant. As everyone knows, you need three hands, one to hold the marking device, one to hold the work, and one to hold the square.

I like definition #1

http://www.urbandict...erm=dead%20nuts

Completely level or plumb. A definition used in the construction trades.

After I laid the porch steps I checked them with my level and they were dead nuts!

Ah, never thought to check my favorite dictionary :) I just have to wonder who the first carpenter was who plumbed a wall so well that he said it was dead-nuts and why his fellow carpenters didn't bust his "completely level" over it ;)

I got one from Rockler when it was on sale. I think I paid like 12 or 15 bucks. Its steel and accurate. I can't complain.

Japan Woodworker sells a set of four engineers squares (2", 3", 4", and 6") for $42. I have this set, and it's really nice.

But given your comment on a 6"-9" square, you should know that I use the 4" size 95% of the time, even for checking machinery set up.