Finishing Utile (Sapo) Project

jpf1182

I will be building some bedroom furniture using Utile (also called Sapo).  It is a mahogany substitute and used quite a lot in Europe.  I prefer a natural wood finish like Arm-R-Seal but my wife would like to stain or dye to bring out more of the dark grain and ribboning.  Has anyone used this wood and what is a good finish that brings out the grain?  Any recommendations of where to look for information?  I have searched on line but haven't found much.

Thanks.

If you're trying to get it to look like Honduran mahogany, there's a recipe out there I think from Chuck Bender that gets it pretty close using a mixture of GF dye stains.  Two parts this and one part that...can't remember exactly.  I think Marc used the same concoction on one of his G&G pieces but I can't remember which.  Try googling Chuck Bender Aurora table dye stain, etc...or dig around on TWW site.

Dye will enhance the color without hiding the grain. I use a acetone based dye that must be sprayed. "Microton " Cut it at least 50% and do multiple coats to sneak up on the color you want. Make test boards and keep accurate notes before you start to finish the piece.

If you can't spray try an alcohol based dye and thin coats wiped on w a cotton rag. This might be a powder you need to dissolve . Make a full strength batch then measure carefully and cut at least 50% . Use this to make test boards. Put your finish over the dye to see the final result.

Water based dyes raise the grain too much for my use.

==>Dog's hair finishing

While it may look OK on small pieces (if you’re Darth Vader), it would be hideous on something large (unless you have no taste).

Then you aren't doing it right or haven't seen the right pieces. Similar process to cerusing. It looks good and you can use any color you want. Black in mahogany is pretty standard and looks kncredible. Faux mahogany reaps the same benefits of this type of finish. 

I've seen a couple guitars finished that way.  Kind of an oddball novelty finish IMO.  It's interesting looking but kind of defeats the purpose of using nice wood.  Might as well paint at that point.  I definitely wouldn't want any furniture that looked like that.  Your taste may vary.

I believe you guys simply googled "dogs hair finish" and dont understand what it is. You are NOT limited to black and white.  Similar process to cerusing, you can use whatever colors your heart desires.  In the case of mahogany, a dark red/brown/black grain filler is pretty standard, even in furniture making.

These are both grain filled pieces. 

2007-mahogany-grad-box-2.jpg

dresser19a.jpg

compared to this which clearly isnt..

tansu_Chest_763x5581.jpg

You sure have a problem with other people's opinions, Bob.  If you like pore filling and coloring wood, go ahead.  But don't get all bent out of shape when someone else thinks it's ugly.  That tansu cabinet you posted looks way better to my eye than the polished, plasticky looking box...but that doesn't mean you have to agree with me.

This is a forum...you have to be able to accept other people's opinions and advice without getting all snarky...even if they're wrong.

Im having a hard time believing any of you have even worked with mahogany (or its faux variants). This is a pretty cut and dry finishing technique that has been around for thousands of years... yet somehow "now its ugly". Intriguing. 

Also, I have no problem with differentiating opinions, I enjoy hearing about new techniques and alternatives. Quite simply you guys are basically telling this guy hes an idiot for wanting a darker finish, and that you know best. I answered the question asked, you did not and gave me crap for it. 

Yet another example of grain filled mahogany. This time on a dining room table. IF this is considered "ugly", then we're just going to ahve to agree to disagree.  Both look good, but the op wants the darker finish, not a "holier than thou" rant about "what looks good".  At least, thats how Im reading it.. 

mahogany-dining-room-table-mahogany-dini

in contrast, here is a natural table.

georgian-mahogany-dining-table-953-L.jpg

Contrasting pore filling looks fine on small pieces – the guitar is a case in point... But it’s ugly on full sized dining table... Let’s not mince word here – it’s ugly. You’ve seen any examples in a museum? Any examples in texts on furniture design? Any examples in a gallery of fine decorative arts?  No, you haven’t... It’s ugly...

And while we're on the subject, that plastic-finish box is also ugly...

Im now firmly confident you have no clue what this finish entails. MOST mahogany furniture is finished in this fashion. 

Heres a piece from a museum. The old technique was to use tung oil and rub it in darker and darker into the pores. Over time the tung oil oxidizes and turns black, creating the black grain filled look. pa1418cd-14.jpg?1433167748

I gave him an idea how to make faux mahogany look more like genuine in the first response in this thread...and at the same time keep it looking like mahogany...check again.

I can't help but LMAO at your assumption that no one else has worked with mahogany just because someone doesn't like their wood looking like plastic.  Please.  I feel juvenile proving you wrong, but so be it.  Here's the last mahogany piece I did...

Those projects look fantastic. Nothing wrong with a natural finish. The OP asked for something and the shockingly arrogant replies about how "ugly" something is is staggering. A forum is a place for many thoughts. I'd love to discuss different finishing types and options, but the OP asked a specific one. You don't have to like my answer, but its correct and works to what he's asking for. Instead of contradiction, I'm met with arrogance, presumptuous berating that is frankly making me a bit defensive. 

Your tastes are not exclusive yet somehow it's always the "final word". Why ? 

And I apologize for my insinuation about what you have and haven't done. I have a hard time believing anyone would find that type of finish unappealing, be that as it may. 

Also, who says it needs to "look like plastic". I did this with black and a red stain, and finished with boiled linseed oil.  

20150723_161517_resized_zpsvdgccnnk.jpg

Wow,  I didn't mean to stir up a controversy.  I will do the wise thing here and do a sample of a  number of techniques.  Then use what I like the best.  I have already done some dyeing and oil finishes and they each have their good qualities.  I guess it just gets down to what one likes the most.

Thanks for all the posts.

Jeff