Mother Nature

Coop

On May 16th, I witnessed a turtle laying eggs in one of our flower beds. It looked like a box turtle and I googled it and it said that survival rate was about 15%. Several people had dug the eggs up and had incubated them. So nothing else for me to do... yep, dug them up and followed directions. 12 eggs and they began to hatch last Wed. I now have 12 red-eared slider turtles in my shop that require water and maintenance. RichardA suggested turtle soup but they're so cute and I've never eaten turtle soup nor skinned a turtle.

• Like 2

About four days after the mother laid the eggs, we found her in the middle of the road, squashed!

I've looked up a reptile and turtle sanctuary but need to find out how far away they are. It has been pretty cool, watching them laid (normally that would be kinky) and now swimming around. You can bet your ass I'll never dig up another a bunch of darn turtle eggs.

I went to Petsmart and they are going for $30 each. I will ship these free, postage included for any takers

Turtles are cool.  I caught this little soft-shell on my last canoe trip...

P4183749_zpsflt8enlh.jpg

Careful with those red-ears...supposedly they fairly often carry salmonella.  Unless you like butt pee I wouldn't lick my fingers after handling them.

• Like 1

I read about the salmonella and have been washing my hands every time I change their diapers.

I also read where they will probably outlive me. Neither of these two fascinate me. I think it's time I find a haven creek for them to spend their time as my wife is totally against me setting up a trust fund for them.

• Like 1

I was cleaning out their large plastic, store your blankets under the bed bin / aquarium / home today and placed the little critters on the floor beside me. I looked down and one of them had climbed up on my foot and was hugging my leg. I felt sure it was too young to be humping! The others were just looking up at me with those cute little eyes. Maybe I'll wait and release them tomorrow instead of today

I'm definately a surrogate mother. Dug the little bastards up when they were just eggs (first and biggest mistake)!

And now they're orphans since the mother got run over and they don't know who their baby daddy is.

They were born free and they have the right to live free!

Born Free

As free as the wind blows

As free as the grass grows

Born free, to follow their heart...

Maybe, take them to local river/pond for an outing, and if any of them hang out with you, you can let those stay with you a while longer.  The ones that just take off and don't come back are ready to live on their own.

Gonna happen in the morning. Probably won't sleep tomorrow night.

They know me as only the one that removes their poop from the water.

Have you considered that they may think of you as the enormous and hideous beast which comes in frequently and disturbs their perfectly good poo collection,and then makes nauseating cooing noises?

Jes' kidding Coop. You're a good man for nurturing them and, like others have said, I don't think turtles need parenting.

Rest easy.

We've all seen wonderful footage of freshly hatched leatherbacks running for the surf and none of those videos show a parent or a "surrogate" waiting to hold their hands (or flippers).