Small Gloat

Boatworks Today

So, been looking at dado sets for a while. All the blades In My shop are from Forrest but had a hard time justifying the price for their set. No doubt they're worth it, I'm just cheap and when It comes to some things...

Anyway Came across an ebay auction for a new set of 8" infinity dadnator blades. Won the auction for $105 which is half price...

I don't have many good days, but I'll count today as one of them!

• Like 1

Boatworks,

I'm going to RUIN your day. :)

I went to an estate auction a few years ago and bought a set of Forrest 8" dado blades for $11.00! Yes, I said eleven dollars! They were in almost new condition but, none of the other bidders knew what they were or what they were worth.

The auctioneer finally got a bid at $10.00 and when I went up to $11.00 everyone else dropped out. :)

Rog

Boatworks,

I'm going to RUIN your day. :)

I went to an estate auction a few years ago and bought a set of Forrest 8" dado blades for $11.00! Yes, I said eleven dollars! They were in almost new condition but, none of the other bidders knew what they were or what they were worth.

The auctioneer finally got a bid at $10.00 and when I went up to $11.00 everyone else dropped out. :)

Rog

That is awesome!  nice score :P

The Forrest blades are in the upper right corner. The two PC routers were $10.00 ea (they are old) the two chisel sets were $25.00 ea (made some racks and sold for $50.00 ea)

tools001.jpg

Then I made a little nicer holder for the blades.

dadoset002.jpg

dadoset001.jpg

dadoset005.jpg

dadoset006.jpg

Rog

Now there's only two trees left in Kansas!

Richard,

I'll have you know that all 108 counties in Kansas are guaranteed to have at least one tree!

I grant you that some of them are looking a bit scrawny these days though.

When we have a good project going on, we sometimes sneak over to the neighboring county and trim off a limb or two off their tree.

Which county depends on what kind wood we need for the project.

Rog

• Like 2

Rog, I've driven across Kansas, East to West.

You guys have really big counties, huh?

If you drove across Kansas on I70, you now know why we are called "FLY OVER COUNTRY" :) Kind of boring isn't it?

By the way, JFYI, Did you know when Ike decided to build the interstate highway system, it was decided that in the Midwest there had to be a curve every 5 miles to keep drivers awake from the boredom of driving in a straight line for hundreds of miles.

We do have hills and some reasons for curving a road but, we also have 200 miles of pretty much flat ground in western Kansas that doesn't really have a need for a curve in the road.

Check out Oklahoma, Texas, New Mexico and Arizona for flat also.

Rog

Rog

• Like 1

I've done that... I70 from Columbia,MO all the way to Colorado on our way to Boulder. It was indeed quite boring.

I live about an hour south of Salina where I35 meets I70 and I've driven 70 both ways. East to St Louis to see my brother and west to Colorado Springs for vacation but, never the complete distance east to west in one trip.

By the way, western Missouri isn't much to brag about either. :)

Ever driven in Texas? They have miles and miles of miles and miles. :)

Rog

Rog

Yep, made that trip as well, and have to agree.

More scenic, but also more desolate, is crossing the Mojave on I-40. When I did it 30+ years ago, there were still signs up, warning that the next chance for fuel was 200 miles.

Yep, made that trip as well, and have to agree.

More scenic, but also more desolate, is crossing the Mojave on I-40. When I did it 30+ years ago, there were still signs up, warning that the next chance for fuel was 200 miles.

Yea, I remember as a kid going to California and seeing the "Flash flood Warning" signs in the desert and thinking it was a joke at the time. My dad put me wise to that one in a hurry. "It isn't funny son" he told me and then explained how that happens in the desert! Who knew?

My wife and I took a trip to Oregon in'70 and took the Winnemucca to the sea highway and saw a sign "60 miles to the next gas", snickered a bit and kept driving. By the time we got to the next gas station, we were believers! :)

Rog

Well I'm from Southern MO where we got the Ozarks and plenty of hills/curves. =p

I have indeed driven in Texas though because my wife is from there. Drove one time until I44 ended in OK and then on down to Dallas. But yea my wife is Texan and we've done the Dallas <-> Houston a few times...pretty boring. I can't imagine west Texas where it's even sparser.

A few years ago our daughter lived in Harlingen, Texas. Ever hear of it? It's a bit north of Brownsville.

It took us 14 hours of steady driving from Hutchinson, Ks to her house and about 3 hours of that was driving through the King ranch area. I think the jackrabbits moved out of that area back in the 1800's.

They were nice roads and courteous drivers but, the scenery was almost like the moon. There really were just miles and miles of miles and miles.

Speed limit? We don't need no stinking speed limit! Just get the heck out of the way and let me get to where I'm going!

Rog

PS One time we drove through a 45 MPH construction zone in San Antonio at 70 MPH just to keep up with traffic flow. No joke!

A few years ago our daughter lived in Harlingen, Texas. Ever hear of it? It's a bit north of Brownsville.It took us 14 hours of steady driving from Hutchinson, Ks to her house and about 3 hours of that was driving through the King ranch area. I think the jackrabbits moved out of that area back in the 1800's.They were nice roads and courteous drivers but, the scenery was almost like the moon. There really were just miles and miles of miles and miles.Speed limit? We don't need no stinking speed limit! Just get the heck out of the way and let me get to where I'm going!RogPS One time we drove through a 45 MPH construction zone in San Antonio at 70 MPH just to keep up with traffic flow. No joke!

Rog, Harlingen is the doorstep to South, South Texas!

Golf, bird hunting, fishing... A mans paradise! Just don't step across the border to never return!

I'm pretty sure the Mars rover images actually originate somewhere between Salt Lake City and Bonneville. Nowhere I have been resembles a barren, lifeless planet more.

Actually they have a Mars environment "biosphere" type experiment going on just outside of Hanksville, UT.

Right near Swing Arm City (a dirt biker's heaven).

The red/grey desert and the isolation are a good likeness.