Bocote Box

davewyo

Coop asked for this...so blame him.

I am always hesitant to post a project journal.

It puts the pressure on for me to complete something that is presentable to the forum, plus I figure that it will be uninteresting to most people who have a modicum of woodworking skills since it's only a basic box.

Still...here we go again.

I hope you enjoy.

If I ruin the thing, and never finish, don't be surprised.

Plenty of my projects don't come to fruition.

Many times I screw something up which I can't repair and at the same time I can't tolerate the look of the mistake and therefore I don't try to salvage the project. Most times I start over, sometimes not.

Sometimes I engage in an immediate do-over, but it can also lead to moving on to the next project (and the next series of screw-ups).

With all that said...

I'm feeling the pressure.

My plan was to make a couple of gift boxes for a couple of weddings I had coming around.

In October it's my brother's turn. The last gift box needed for the month of June turned out well, so I have been mulling over how to complete a second "wedding worthy" box.

My solution to the dilemma of doing good enough and getting it done soon so the finish can gas off before it makes its debut is to make a few boxes and perhaps one will be good enough.

Right now I'm working on a Bocote box which is directly based upon my successful box.

I've cut the four sides and I think I may be decided on a bottom, but I'm up in the air about the lid.

I started out with this lumber:

http://IMG_1076_zps4w2gghdv.jpg

and I'm working on some lay-out for a possible lid.

http://IMG_1083_zps7ggl1zaa.jpg

It's all going to be just fine! "Slow is Fast" as they say. In 30 years of woodworking, I still manage to make mistakes. It's how you recover and cover up those mistakes that makes you a good woodworker! On many projects, the best thing I've discovered is to take a break, think ahead a bit and consider the next move (or 2). Good luck. Looking good so far.

• Like 2

Dave, I think others are wrong and you're right. The Pressure is definately on!

But you've put yourself in front of a pretty non critical audience so that will help.

All kidding aside, as good as the last one turned out, I'm definately looking forward to this one.

• Like 1

Dave, I think others are wrong and you're right. The Pressure is definately on!

But you've put yourself in front of a pretty non critical audience so that will help.

to expand on coops "help" let me remind you how expensive that exotic wood is... Don't screw up, it'll cost you a fortune! :D
  • Like 2