Jointer fence squareness

Cliff

I got a benchtop PC jointer from Lowes. 6 1/4"

The outfeed side of the fence is absolutely square to the table. The infeed is not. It's .. I dunno.. 1/16th to 1/32nd of an inch gap at the top? 

I cannot get both sides square, which tells me the fence might be jacked. How big of a deal is this? It looks to me like the edge is getting squared but then other times I look and it doesn't. Starting to wonder if my mind is playing tricks. 

I am pretty sure it's flat. I checked it when I first got it. However, I didn't square the fence, or try to, until I'd had the thing maybe 2 months. So I'm not sure I can take it back anymore. I can double check the infeed table for flatness tomorrow. I assume I just put the square on going each direction? 

This thing is a major pain. Every day I work with home center lumber a nice grizzly jointer leap frogs another tool in order of "must have."

I have one of those home center 6" jointers (Delta, if it matters). The fence is a cruel joke. I finally beat mine into something that resembles squareness, and locked it down, never to be moved again.

Nevermind the tables being too short for accurately jointing anything more that 2 feet long, that fence is enough to drive one to upgrade, all on its own.

• Like 1