Wall Mounted Desk: Flame Birch, Walnut, BBP

wouldwurker

This started off as a piece of shop furniture...then project creep turned it into a kids desk to be painted...then project creep turned it into a walnut edge-banded, flame birch drawer-fronted, wooden drawer slided, turnbuttoned, arm-r-seal coated, piece of furniture for the house. So there.

It'll be wall mounted, (not French cleated), and screwed directly into the studs.

Wife is still selecting a location. It'll be 'shaker end table height', wherever it goes. My only input is that you can catch the figure in the drawer-front from a few good angles and a distance.

If I knew the end result before I started I wouldn't have used an oak veneered drawer bottom...ah well

The middle prop support is temporary (hence the label)

No drawer pull..the bottom is proud and you can get your fingers under and behind it.

05546c5313b8877a42a850e8820f45d4.jpg

58e6951ec1a80349de942410360ba930.jpg

0bfd693961a7be5eb9a31f551d4b102c.jpg

Long view for sense of scale.

14fab44493abeceb5e1bee9ed104c39c.jpg

Project Journal here.

Materials: BBP, Walnut, Flame Birch, Birch dowelstock, oak ply drawer bottom

Finish: Arm-r-Seal semi-gloss, inside and out.

• 3 weeks later...

Mounted in its final resting place. It's at an odd height, at 40 inches...but the drawer bottom is right where my fingers are, and the desk is at perfect writing height when I'm standing. So it's an unorthodox piece, at an unorthodox height...but isn't that the reason we make our own furniture? Used Toggler brand toggle bolts by the way. Awesome!! Worth every penny. Side note...I think I'm a big fan of the no drawer pull look. Think I might like to incorporate this into a multi drawer piece on day.