Tools passed down to me

pghmyn

Since my grandpa died some time ago, we have been putting off going through his things. He was a soldier in WWII, and became a mechanic when he got out until he literally could not do the job anymore. He refused to stop working and retire. He amassed a large collection of tools, and the garage is full of them. He was a hobby woodworker, but that's about it. His tools were craftsman and around the big box store area. His mechanic tools were Starrett, Snap On, Mitutoyo, etc. Spreading the collection about my dad, brother, and myself, I am coming away with some pretty nice stuff.

I will be getting a full wrench, socket, and basic tool set put together by my dad. He will make sure I get one of everything that I need to keep myself supplied for many years to come. A rolling tool box comes with that, so that will be nice.

I also picked out a few things that will come in handy for myself. Firstly, a box of 7 or 8 12" Starrett rulers. All different divisions, and scales. A Mitutoyo micrometer. I think the range is 2" and perfectly dialed in still. And finally for now, an all metal caliper with 0.001 dial gauge - again, still perfectly dialed in.

The entire box of rules is covered in oil, most likely from him dropping it in there. But I guess that worked out for the better because it prevented any rust at all from forming. Not sure if that was intentional or not.

There are lots of other things that I have found useful so far, but I'm loving these so far.

Wish some of his mechanic knowledge would have passed on to me, however. Could have used that now :)

My grandfather gave me several tools a few years before he passed on. That was about 30 years ago. It's still nice to use the handsaw that he built the front porch with. My father was born in that house.

Use them, take care of them and remember your time with him .

I got all of my Grandfathers tools which I will put on display once again when the garage is done. I was a Mazda tech for many years and will always be a mechanic gear head. I hope my son & step sons grow to appreciate my tools as I have all of them. Sold the big roll cab tool box cuz it was just too big.

When I think of my Grandfathers things the stuff I cherish the most is his complete set of Dogs playing poker all framed.

Tools passed down from a grandparent are always something to cherish.

My dad's got my Papa's machinist tools and things like that. I did however get his 6" metal rule that he always had in his shirt pocket with his glasses, he engraved his name in the back of the ruler by hand. I keep it clean, but don't use it much anymore. 

I've been using the caliper a good amount in the make shift shop I have in my garage now. It's really nice to have something this accurate.

The rulers will really come in handy for drawings and transferring to work pieces.

I don't know a real use for the micrometer yet, other than it looks cool.

I also got a 1/3 hp motor that works well. Might just use it to make a disc sander. Unless I can think of something else.

I also have a floor standing drill press that I am waiting to pick up.