Sanding/planing question

jmaichel

There isn't a hard and fast rule on this question - it depends what you make, the wood you use and your personal preferences.

Here are my preferences for what they are worth.

I like to use English or European Oak in the main and to apply oil and wax, repeated lots of wax polish, the old fashioned way.

(I seldom, if ever, use abrasives; I don't like the dust and the dust doesn't like me).

This means that the final touch is a plane or occasionally a scraper. My custom is to keep a few planes that I use for mostly for finishing and most of these are wooden bodies, because wood rubbing on wood provides an excellent burnish. It is possible to get an exceptionally fine cut with a wooden bodied plane and for the best finish I have a set that are bedded, bevel down,  at 60 degrees or 'half-pitch'.

I can’t get emotional about removing every last tool mark on a piece of furniture. I’m not a machine and if there are integral visible signs how it was made, all the better.

Hope this helps you to decide.

James, it's a blend. I don't have a plane or scraper that will finesse some curves. If I need to sand to finesse the curve, I would rather the piece have the same finish technique applied throughout. I have a screen door in the works without any curves. I am targeting a plane and scraper finish without paper.

It depends...

With the Festool sanders and CT, there really isn't any dust to contend with.

To argue a better finish with a handplane vs sanding, is a personal choice. Both have proven to be effective methods of prepping an area for finish.

So, if it's not for a better finish, it really comes down to your work flow. Proper bench and tools to accomplish a task.

Thanks for the replies. I have always been curious if anyone has a preference. I know a lot of folks on this forum have a good mix of hand tools and power tools and was curious to see if there was one method that was preferred over another. Myself, I enjoy using hand tools but have always sanded either by hand or with an ROS before applying finish.