Router Purchasing

Morgan Kiley

Hey guys I'm new here and new to forums in general so if I'm going about this wrong please let me know and I'll change my ways.

I'm looking into getting a new router set up and I'm wondering everyone's opinion on buying the multiple base combos vs the dedicated fixed or plunge routers. I guess what I'm asking is am I sacrificing anything to get a combo router kit?

Welcome to the forums Morgan!

If you use the search feature, you'll see that there's lots of discussion on routers..  Suggest taking a look.

From my point of view, the Bosch 1617 kit is about the best bang for the buck out there.  That is until you start drinking the green Koolaid ;)

• Like 1

I agree with TIODS. I have the Dewalt equivalent of the Bosch he mentioned and love it. I bought a 3-base kit and have since added a 4th. I use the D-handle for hand held work, a fixed base in router table, a fixed base affixed to a Rockler straight edge jig, and a plunge base for when plunging is needed. Sure there are lots of times I wish I didn't have to switch it around and switch bits and set it up to change function, but its great to have all that functionality in one and just snap out snap in to a new one. It's a great way to get started with routers IMHO.

Hi Morgan, and welcome! Like TIODS said, there is lots of material on this topic, but I'll toss in my opinion.

Multi-base kits are handy to start, because later, there is a good chance you will want to buy more bare motors to stick in those bases. As Norm is reported to have said, "Around here, we don't switch bits, we switch routers!"

I thought it was ridiculous to have more than one router, until I tired of removing mine from the router table, so I bought another. They're as addicting as homemade banana pudding. I now have 5.

Oh, and welcome to the forum.

Thanks guys I appreciate it.

I will definitely do a little more searching to see if what I'm looking for is already here, like I said new to the whole forum thing.

I have been reading about the Bosch 1617 kit and like the looks of it a lot but then I saw the Bosch MRC23EVSK and now I'm on the fence. I like the idea of the switch in the handles and the extra power but I'm not sure how I feel about the fact that it has the low voltage track in the motor/base so that it won't really work with other router lifts and tables.

I'll keep reading and Thanks again

The combo kits are great if you're only gonna have one router.  The only logical place to start.  Like the guys said, though...you'll eventually end up with more.  If you're planning to set up a router table, do yourself a favor, bite the bullet, and buy a dedicated router for it.  The only logical second step...taken immediately after the first.  If you don't have a table yet, don't worry about it...but as soon as you start thinking about a table, factor in another router as part of the cost.  You'll thank yourself later.

Swapping out a base on a handheld is not nearly the PITA that installing/removing your router from a table will be.  Nothing gets on my nerves more than having to waste time fiddling with unnecessary tool setup...woodworking already moves at a snail's pace...no point making it worse if you have the option.

So buy whichever combo kit tickles your fancy without regard to its compatibility with tables...you won't be using it in a table either way, ultimately.