Sommerfeld beaded face frame system

I have seen the demo several times, sharp looking results. But have you ever done much inset door/drawer work ? Getting even and tight reveals is a pain in the ass ! If your case gets out of square or is installed wrong the racking forces ruin all your efforts. If it's a free standing piece of furniture the construction needs to be rock solid for an inset door/ drawer to operate smoothly.

The beaded frame results are great but the rest of the job is a bear !

• Like 2

Yes Kreg has a system but they also wanted $500 for it at the time I was looking to do my kitchen back in 2009. That number was chosen because they thought people would pay that price and fhat's what led me to make my own as I already had the beading bit and bought the chamfer bit from MLCS. This is the updated revised version of the one I built.

post-202-0-40568800-1437838437_thumb.jpgpost-202-0-57261300-1437838466_thumb.jpgpost-202-0-86144800-1437838479_thumb.jpgpost-202-0-92317000-1437838501_thumb.jpg

To answer your question steve...no i have yet to do inset drawers. I just built a few face frame cabinets that I would call rock solid though. I'm getting ready to install blumotion slides. I bought the jig so that will likely be my hardware of choice for future projects. Thanks for the fair warning.

The Blum slides with all the adjustments are a good choice for inset face frame work. Don't get the cheaper versions with less adjustments( you will need them ).

Spending on the best concealed hinges with all the adjustments is smart as well. Calipers, magnifying headset and a good metric ruler are handy to have. Practice on scrap so you understand how to build and adjust an inset door before you tackle a whole kitchen. I would build a small section of a kitchen first and learn from that, then tackle the rest of the room .

If done well it is a great look as long as you understand the challenges it can pose.