Here we go. Roubo from scratch

• 2 weeks later...

with very limited time last night to saw, we got a new cant cut and about 60 more BF of sticks cut before loosing the light.  one more short session should get the remaining BF cut out that I need, then the wait really starts. I'm not sure what im going to do with the remainder of the log. Thinking that 6/4 slabs would be the most utilitarian for me.

Had some time Sunday afternoon so I met my buddy over at the mill yard. We got two more smaller cants milled up and a quick measurement of the stacks looks to be about 240 board feet in 8/4  4.5"x 8' & 9.5"x 8'. With those sizes, there shouldn't be too much waste, I'm hoping.

I brought my moisture meter and a few deep measurements (pins buried) on the stack we cut a few weeks ago read 19%

Edited by Brendon_t

Great looking stack of lumber!

Thanks, the 9&10" boards are going to be mostly for the top. They are all clean and clear throughout. The thinner boards, mostly 4.5-6" will be legs and stretchers and everything that is not the top. We got creative with some cuts to get the best yield out of the tree. All of the thin boards also have at least a 4.5"x 6' clear cut in them. 

I'm thinking that with 240 ish feet, I should have plenty left over.  Even after the hundred trash bags of chips tom showed me I will make.

Sawing wood is a lot of fun. If I lived somewhere where there was a need, I could totally see myself buying a woodmeizer and milling wood for fun/ pay. 

Edited by Brendon_t

Not gunna happen, I have way too many guns to "loose" if I move to Canadia.

i would have loved having a mill on the farm I grew up on in the Ozarks. 150 acres of hardwood timber.

i had a tree stand in an old white oak that was 8 feet across. In his youth, my stupid uncle took a chainsaw to the first main crotch and carved in a chair. More like a throne.. A butt cushion and I could sit in that stand all day.

Edited by Brendon_t

Yeah shane, one log had one end forget to be anchorsealed.  The boards with check, are  extra long.  And I'm not paying for the extra foot,  since my buddy forgot to do it. 

And yes V, I grew up in a tiny town in SW Missouri called Purdy. Closest town is monet. Closest real city is Joplin, where I was born. 

Edited by Brendon_t

And yes V, I grew up in a tiny town in SW Missouri called Purdy. Closest town is monet. Closest real city is Joplin, where I was born. 

Very cool.  We rarely ventured that way except for the regular trips to Branson. I grew up in Salem, MO...just south of Rolla.  Beautiful country down there.