Need a sanity check

I tried to purchase a couple pieces of 1/4 sawn white oak this morning from my local specialty lumber yard.  I spent 20 minutes trying to find decent quality wood in the pile.  I brought home what I thought were a couple good pieces, not to many big knots.  It was 1S1 material 7/8 thick.  I had to cut knots out of each end and throw away about 8" of each board just to start.  I cut two 50" pieces out of each remaining piece. 

My understanding of 1S1 is that it is flat on one side and does not need to be passed through a jointer?  I jointed an edge and then put it through the planer, one side then the other.  Both boards come out warped.

Am I losing my mind or is this junk?

Thanks.

Brian in Indianapolis.

Yep ^^^  Expect to go through a certain amount of the entire milling process whether your boards are rough or S4S or anything in between.  It comes out flat and straight at the mill...but never stays that way.  Also consider, they may have flattened one face at the mill - and even if it stayed flat through all its travels to end up in your shop - once you send the other side through the planer, you're breaking the "equal material off both sides" rule and throwing the board out of equilibrium...which almost always causes movement.

As for your trouble with the QSWO specifically...it can be a tough species to locate a nice, high quality pack of.  The owner of my yard has been on the lookout for what seems like a year now without success...nothing meets his approval.  It takes a good sawyer to yield exceptional QS stock...any slight deviation from perfectly quarter sawn and you start losing fleck.

As for the defects in your boards, you could just be dealing with a lower grade lumber.

Northwest Lumber on Lafayette Rd.  in Indianapolis.  Is there another?  I am thinking of going over to Frank Miller and bringing home a truckload or so.  I tried the guys up by Kokomo and they seem pretty good, but I only needed a couple pieces to do a small project.

Thanks.

Brian

Northwest Lumber on Lafayette Rd. in Indianapolis. Is there another? I am thinking of going over to Frank Miller and bringing home a truckload or so. I tried the guys up by Kokomo and they seem pretty good, but I only needed a couple pieces to do a small project.

Thanks.

Brian

I think I'd take it back in there. I didn't know they even had S1S stuff in there, everything I've bought has been finished. Was it cheaper to buy it S1S?

Is there a chance that inner tension was released?

Shannon:

I am sure this was part of it.  Too close to a large knot and it wasn't flat to start so when I cut it, tawng!!!!  I like and use quantersawn because I love the wood and arts and crafts design, plus it is more stable.  I really believe it is poor quality stuff.  I can mill regualr 4/4 or 5/4 I have an 8" jointer etc...

Brian

Nah I doubt it. We've had our one rain this year. It'll be a solid year before the next one. Good thing too since I sent all my ark making tools to Ken in Houston. .

if it did rain you wouldn't be able to tell because the ground would soak it up so fast! I'm going to have to get coop to send the ark tools my way, we have set the all time record for most rainfall in a year!

I paid $6.45/bd ft for this material.  Frank Miller lumber is offering select & preium grade material at $3.95/ft.  I am going to take my1/2 ton pickup and load up.