Bandsaw Maintenance

Keggers

I have to replace my tires and a few guide bearings on my Grizzly 17" bandsaw. I thnk I have the technique to replace the tires in hand but was wondering if there are any potential problems in replacing the bearings? I've just ordered the replacement parts from Grizzly.

I've noticed lately some odd noises from my bandsaw especially after installing a new 1" blade. The blade moves from side to side and the machine has some major vibration. I cleaned the resin off the tires and then noticed the bottom tire isn't staying on the wheel near the top. Like it has stretched somehow. So I'm going to replace those. I'm guessing the noise I'm hearing is coming from a couple of quide bearings that are frozen or almost frozen.

For those of you who have done it - is there any problem of getting the old bearings off and the new ones on?

Thanks!

I've run the machine without a blade and know that that the bottom bearing is fine. I can actually see a gap between the blade/tire and wheel on the bottom wheel when running so I really think it's the tires.

Thanks. I will check the top wheel bearing.

Never done the bearing or the tires on either of my Grizz saws..  Looking forward to hearing about your experience!  I know Marc did a video on the tires..

I've watched Marc's video a few times. I might try putting the tires on with the wheels still on the saw. That's my thinking right now but I might change my mind when the tires get here.

I'm having the same issues with my 17" Griz, Kent.  The tires are fine but I've been getting the wobbly blade ever since I snapped my last one.  No idea what's causing it and I haven't endeavored to fix it yet.  A couple of my guide bearings are very sticky, too.  They're absolute junk.  I was considering getting Carters but damn they're expensive...and some people act like bearings don't really mean anything.

Anyway, it's frustrating.  I hate dealing with tool problems.  Good luck.

Bostic sells a bearing lube with a straw like WD40. The lube is kinda Teflon like, goes on wet but dries quickly. Meant mostly for router bearings but I have used it on sticking bearings with great results.

I bet if you measured those guide bearings carefully w digital calipers there is a good chance they are a standard metric size. Then you could search and buy them lots of places.

• Like 2

Bostic sells a bearing lube with a straw like WD40. The lube is kinda Teflon like, goes on wet but dries quickly. Meant mostly for router bearings but I have used it on sticking bearings with great results.

I bet if you measured those guide bearings carefully w digital calipers there is a good chance they are a standard metric size. Then you could search and buy them lots of places.

I never thought about lubbing mine. Don't know why.

Bostic is on my shopping list.

Thanks

I just found out that the guide bearings for my Grizzly G0513X bandsaw are out of stock and Grizzly can't give me a date as to when they'll have more. I don't know what to do now. I'm wondering if these bearings can be cleaned since they are suppose to be sealed? Any help or links to another source for guide bearings will be much appreciated.