anyone know the Memphis wood scene?

phinds

My friend David Clark is trying to locate the Jesup Wood Collection which is rumored to be somewhere in Memphis, possibly at a university/college or maybe at a public or private museum or some kind of research institute.

Anyone happen to know what such institutions there are in Memphis that might have anything to do with wood?

Thanks,

Paul

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again for this information. I spoke to Mr. Wilson yesterday and David will be calling him tomorrow.

The collection is intact and owned by the ag. center that Mr. Wilson heads up. Some of the pieces are out on loan but can be recalled on demand. David's next step in talking to Wilson is to ascertain the condition of the pieces.

Mr Wilson IS interested in selling the collection so David is very happy. Hope it works out for him.

EDIT: Oh, and at some point I hope to have better pics of the collection and I'll post them here.

Edited by phinds

looks like he did a great job, compared with those dusty ones sitting in the barn. Sounds like Wilson mislead me since he said the collection was still entirely owned by the ag center but with some pieces out on loan, not sold outright.

ntact is a coup for a Xylarium

I have no idea what that means.

Let me ask a different way. I have just read that Mr. Jesup attempted to collect one trunk and one foliage specimen from native trees to the United States in the late 1800's.

Is this collection only relevant because of it's age, or is there something more like that it is actually an  inclusive sampling?

One more message from Mr. Copeland. He says: "The 5 pieces are on display at Fort Chaffee near Fort Smith, Arkansas. They are in the Elvis Presley Barber Shop Museum."

Thanks. I'll pass that on to David.

I have no idea what that means.

Let me ask a different way. I have just read that Mr. Jesup attempted to collect one trunk and one foliage specimen from native trees to the United States in the late 1800's.

Is this collection only relevant because of it's age, or is there something more like that it is actually an  inclusive sampling?

I really can only repeat what I said. Such collections just are not done any more. They COULD be done, but it isn't happening. Any collection of a substantial number of species from any one area (the US for example) is appealing to a xylarium and I suppose there is some cache from it being a collection that was put together back in the days when such things WERE done and were done with some care (provenance of samples can be an issue).