Hidden Beauty

Llama

Got some wood in for an upcoming build, laid it out on the outfeed table to get an idea of where I wanted to make my cuts. I figured it out, and began to break down the material.

Material... just a word we toss around to mean what ever wood we're using at the moment. I'm as guilty as anyone else here, but I design a piece, get the wood, process it and start putting the thing together... Most of us appreciate nice grain patterns, but I really get a lot of joy in seeing such a rough board before processing. Anything can be underneath the surface, perhaps a hidden flaw or spectacular grain or color. A few swipes with the smoother reveals a different story than is being told from the cover.

Not to get all emotional or anything, just wanted to share this with you. 

11703584_10207421474963239_8279287263642

11791970_10207421476363274_2952842041570

Sometimes after I make something I regret that the board is gone. I sometimes find I apreciate the board more then what I made. For example I have a walnut board on my shelf that has a walnut shell traped in the wood. I plan on smoothing the board and the building a frame and hanging the board on wall as is because the board is as far as I'm concerned a piece of artwork.

• Like 2