burl score

Eric.

I blame Tom Cancelleri...after all the deals he's been finding at his Woodcraft I had to go take a gander at mine.  Blah.  Garbage.  Nothing but garbage.  Clearly marked...NO discounts on Festool or Leigh!...the two things I might be interested in.  But they did have plenty of garbage on clearance.  Oh, and no Danish oil...the one thing I actually needed.

But I wandered back into their junk area...er, uh, make that "lumber" room, and I spotted this basketball-sized alien brain.  Picked it up...whoa, heavy.  Not domestic, whatever it was.

j8d1Ym5.jpg

Flipped it over...dark, reddish.  Honestly, no idea.  I thought maybe bubinga.  Went to put it back when I spotted the "12."  Nevermind, I'll take it.  Just for kicks I asked the kid at the desk if he knew what it was.  He kind of picked on the bark a little (LOL) and said, "Kind of reddish...maybe cherry?"  (LOL)  I just smiled and paid the $12 plus tax and headed home.

Took a block plane to it a few minutes ago...padauk.  Basketball-sized padauk burl for 12 beans.  Not bad.

GaMvoQQ.jpg

Looking forward to getting this thing on the lathe one day.  I'll let y'all know if I survive the explosion. :D

Get one of those curved parting tools that will let you make several bowls out of the one burl !

Lol those are stupid expensive.

http://m.woodcraft.com/Product/127678/KEL-MCNAUGHTON-SYSTEM-COMPLETE.aspx?gclid=Cj0KEQjwrdetBRCJg92s44SB77IBEiQAEIWmVaY4bazp7jfwaMxIr0Px6Q_XC5ffvJKpdT0xvuCan2IaAlTO8P8HAQ

Sent from my 831C using Tapatalk

Okay then, it's settled...brain bowl underwear for everyone.  Laser blaster in the front and oil slick squirter in the rear...just in case you ever take chase after lazer blasting someone from your burly orange loin.

This keeps getting better and better..........

• 2 weeks later...

And here's what's left of it...hardly larger than a grapefruit.  Lots of bark and pith inclusions left little usable material.  To be expected.

I rushed the sanding job and it shows.  That's gonna have to be a do-over.  You'll forgive me, I'm a rookie turner.

Pretty cool piece of wood, though...what's left of it.

r3V6KyD.jpg

3z1xlZ3.jpg

cYiNN6h.jpg

• Like 1