Chess pc wall display - lots of questions!

Hello all!  I'm new to woodworking and have decided to make the hubby a wall display for chess pieces from a beautiful set he got in Germany many years ago. The largest pc is just shy of 6" tall x 2" wide. I'm looking at something like a large picture frame with 4 'shelves' and the back to be stained with the chess board dark/light effect.  Ultimately, the board will be approx 16.5" w x 24" h (+ the thickness of the 'shelves').

So, 2 questions for now...

1) I'm debating between making the chessboard and the the shelves to be made entirely of slats that I can stain and piece together. I figure this will allow the shelf to be set between the rows of the chessboard back.  OR, to have the chessboard back to be a solid piece and somehow attached these little shelves to the front.  I know the first option requires more precise cutting of all the slats so no gaps, but if I did this under option 2, how would I attach the shelves?

2) based on the length of approx 16.5", would you recommend the shelf to be 1/8" thick?  The pieces are not truly heavy, but they are not light like smaller or plastic pieces. 

Thank you all for your help.  I truly appreciate your advise!!

Juju

Welcome in ,Juju. I agree with the others that 1/8" thick shelves will likely be a problem. What you describe sounds like a 'vertical chessboard'. There are videos on how to construct one on Youtube.

If you can tell us a bit about the tools you have, and your skill level / experience, we might be able to help you more.

Sounds like a neat project, I hope you will share some photos along the way!

I am building one as we speak. My shelves are 1/4". I wouldn't go any smaller than that. How I made the chess back was I cut all of the pieces then glued them to a strip of plywood. I glued that strip to another piece of plywood for the back. Here are some pictures. c62a1fa03ff576e04f2f95c9e8343bed.jpg1dd9056a62994ba1caa995d6ff8b04dc.jpg I put a 3/4" recess around the back because I am planning on using a French cleat system to hang it up.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the late response, was on vacation!!  Thank you so much for your information/advice.  And Bradpotts, That is wonderful!!!!  I'm only making mine 4 shelves high as the pieces are too big to make a full vertical chess board, just a display board, but that is what I'm hoping to complete.  

I'll post some pics as I go since I know I'll have more questions as I progress.

Juju

• Like 1