Screws for router

Woody1

I'm trying to make a router table using the Ryobi R163GK router. I took the plate off and the screws were tiny, 1/4 inch. I can't mount that to a table so I went to HD and the local hardware store, bought a few different screws but none are the exact diameter and do not fit into the router. I've contacted Ryobi through Email but have not heard back (i'll try calling as well).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to mounting the router?

post-18256-0-30846300-1438119290_thumb.j

post-18256-0-05882600-1438119299_thumb.j

Usually machine screws with a common thread are used (possible metric). Bring with you and GENTLY test until you find what you need. Places like HD normally have a thread checker on hand.

Of course, consult the manual. The exploded view should give you the type.

The length of the screw is 1/4". I took the screw to compare thickness but didn't think to screw it into a nut... haha thanks. I plan on mounting it directly to the plywood but eventually will get a nice plate for it.

well, we all learn this after a trip or three to the hardware store looking for the right bolt.

I can drill any size hole, however the screw needs to fit into the router (unless you mean to drill the router holes bigger in the actual router?) - that's where the problem is. What is drill and tap? I also tried matching the screw with the card that has the different holes for screws (thread checker?) and it didn't fit any of those. The local hardware store which has been very good usually, was very little help with the screws. 

I can drill any size hole, however the screw needs to fit into the router (unless you mean to drill the router holes bigger in the actual router?) - that's where the problem is. What is drill and tap? I also tried matching the screw with the card that has the different holes for screws (thread checker?) and it didn't fit any of those. The local hardware store which has been very good usually, was very little help with the screws. 

Drill and tap is drilling a new hole and cutting threads into the hole. The tap is the tool used to cut the threads. When buying the drill and tap combo package, it states right on the package what thread count it is. Just buy the corresponding screw to the tap and it's a perfect match every time.

Woody, if you're not in a huge hurry, pm me and I will give you my address. Send me one of the screws with the length that you need and I will go to my fastener guy and get you as many as you need, no charge for anything.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Actually just found a work around.  I downloaded the manual for the ryobi router table that would work with this router.  The table comes with various plate inserts and corresponding screws for different router models.  The manual has a chart that provides the screw size to use for each specific router - 5/16-18 x 3/4