How big a bit should I be able to turn?

rodger.

Just getting this ridgid drill press (dp15501) running properly, putting on a new chuck and adjusting the belts. Still running a bit rough, so I need to replace the belts most likely.

Anyways, I got it to about 6 thou run out, and decided to test some holes. All the regular size holes were great, but when I tried to cut a 2" hole with a forstner bit, the drill stalls out.

This machine has a 1/2 HP motor (8 amp) - should it be able to cut a 2" hole with a Forstner bit? I reduced to the speed to recommended level.

Clean sharp bit at a lower speed and fed slowly with the board clamped down it should not stall the bit but you are at the limits of a lightweight drill press. If the wood is hard I sometimes drill a few smaller holes just inside the perimeter of the big hole as relief .

After about 12 tries, I found two places for belts. The first is a shop that is an "authorised ridgid repai centre", buy they want a whopping 20 dollars per belt!

I went to a bearing shop and they told me they could get one cut for 5 dollars. So hopefully I'll get those belts tomorrow!