Barn type sliding door

wdwerker

My wife wants me to put one of these in her quilting room for her story board..  I figured it was an easy build so went to order the hardware and that's when the project seriously slowed down!  That stuff is expensive! 

45 3/8 wide by 92 7/8 tall by 1 7/8 thick. The picture is just the rough layout to pick an arrangement of the boards for color and paint coverage. I'm putting the more weathered boards towards the bottom where they would get more sun and more rain & water splashed up from the ground. The boards with the most paint near the top where the overhang might have sheltered them.

3/4 plywood back + 9/16 to 5/8 planks for the field + 9/16 frame in front. A groove in the bottom will sit over a guide on the floor to keep the door from swinging and scraping the baseboards.

Spent a couple of hours on the jobsite measuring and figuring out what size to build. The walls are out of plumb 1/2" back at the top, plus I have to clear the baseboard. 7/8 clearance at the floor will keep it just above the shoe molding.

I will post more pictures as I go along.

image.jpg

We used construction adhesive and 1 1/4" micro pins to attach each board. The black lines were to keep any gaps between boards from showing the plywood.

(still trying to figure out the new software for posting. Anybody know how to save font and size choices? Or do I have to choose each time ?)

We ripped the long edges with the tracksaw so that every board was perfectly flush. Then we sanded the area where the frame would attach.

image.thumb.jpg.294d753e30c9837d9ddde4ddimage.thumb.jpg.b278d0002d31a2931e2902aeimage.thumb.jpg.dedb3e5a3e5727b50b5233e3image.thumb.jpg.145b42a09ffd2d3fd49ad083

After gluing and nailing the frame on we trimmed the top and bottom with the tracksaw.

We hung the track with 3/8 x 6" lag screws then hung the door.image.thumb.jpg.506ee463d44e3a9139f5167bimage.thumb.jpg.de83cd2db4f2c16ab1466520image.thumb.jpg.f62987e8a919e326a94d307bimage.thumb.jpg.73b6bbcfeadccb7d1d8a6a89

Detail shots of wheel & bracket to keep the door from jumping off the track, back of door, and floor guide. I made an oak spacer so the guide was high enough to let the bottom of the door clear the base and shoe moulding.

image.jpg

It was amazing how much material we had to reject, then sort the range of color and percentage of remaining paint. I put the most paint near the top as if it was under the eaves. Least paint at the bottom where sun ,rain and mud splashing up should have weathered it the most.

Had to flatten the backs yet keep a varied thickness to avoid looking to perfect. Tried to not have too many nail holes in one cluster. Rustic isn't as easy as it looks !

That's really cool, Steve! You are correct about doing 'rustic' right being a lot of work. Big difference between throwing some crap material together with poorly fitted joints, and building a proper piece of furniture then simulating age and wear. Takes a lot of thought and observation to get it right.