Ever wanted to own a military Hmmwv?

Brendon_t

Well you can. About a year ago, Congress signed a bill releasing over a hundred thousand in use government vehicles to be auctioned off on the open market with a $175 reserve.

Initially the nicer hmmwv's ate selling in excess of $20k but over the year, supply far out kicked demand and these things are cheap, like in the hundreds often times. I know their not for everyone but still super cool. I'm waiting for one around me to come up.

Check em out if your curious. Govplanet.com.

I have a friend that bought 2 6x6 trucks and a trailer for ridiculously low prices and required little to no work to be street ready.

Sweet isnt it. My brother is stationed in Missouri and just bought a Hmmwv and trailer for it in Oklahoma . I'm pretty sure he paid under $500 for both. I'm stoked for him to take delivery.

We're goint to take it out to the deer camp next year.

The 6.5l diesel is no worse than thousands of pickups on the road.

Probably pretty low geared too.  Not sure but I don't think they top out very high.  Banks makes a kit to add some ponies but I think it is steep.  To the tune of something like 20k?  I watched a youtube video on it a while back.  I think it was on the Dirt Every Day channel

Diesel or jp8 bro.

Epa is goint to crap themselves

If I remember touchy they get in the 4-6 mpg range.

Only up-armored. My sister's hub is a mil diesel mech. They are very much more economical when stripped of armor and mil gear. As a truck alone, they can do as well as my personal family hauler. That's why I also own a car... As far as EPA, current diesels are putting out cleaner air than they take in according to the regs. A local welder has driven one since the first roll out. Pretty red.

Only up-armored. My sister's hub is a mil diesel mech. They are very much more economical when stripped of armor and mil gear. As a truck alone, they can do as well as my personal family hauler. That's why I also own a car... As far as EPA, current diesels are putting out cleaner air than they take in according to the regs. A local welder has driven one since the first roll out. Pretty red.

I respectfully disagree. My first truck was a k5 stripped with the 6.2. I got about 6mpg.

The problem with a lot of these guys throwing armor kits on them is that the 1114 class hmmwv's were never made to hold that much weight. An armor kit adds about 5,000 lb to the truck. The suspensions on them just can't handle it.  I'm still trying to talk myself out of buying one for a trail/ hunting truck.

Several of the municipalities around here had these made available to them and they jumped on them. They were going to turn them into SWAT vehicles or rescue vehicles. When they got them home, most of them wouldn't run. Bad fuel pumps, run without any oil and a variety of problems. No parts available. You see them sittin around all the city garages and hid away in the county buildings.