Cotton rag source

Tom Cancelleri

I'm running out of old t shirts to cut up and use. 

Does anyone have any sources for decent cotton rags that aren't cut up from tshirts that were recycled. Most of the  ones I've found online have reviews of armpit stained pieces of cloth or ends of shirts with lace. 

Any favorite rags out there?

I'm with Kent...Goodwill.  We have one Goodwill downtown that you actually pay per pound...pennies per pound.  If you have one of those go load up on the oldest, most threadbare shirts you can find.  The older the better because they leave less lint behind.  Bring them home and wash them in heavy bleach...even if they have armpit stains they'll be "clean" after the bleach.  It's gross but who cares...you're not licking them.

• Like 1

I bought a bag from lee valley one time, they were great. Only complaint is that some rags were really large.

Seconded.  I went through and cut everything into neat rectangles, usually cutting them into thirds or quarters, and cutting off the edges that were curled.  That way I just reach into the box and pull something out that I know is going to be easy to fold up the way I like it.