Built in cabinets

Cliff

Anyone got tips/resources on planning out a shop built in cabinet project? It's going to be my main tool storage. Think.. Marc's tool storage thing (episode 217) but around 10 feet long, 44ish inches high, fastened to the wall. No lid, will be doors. I want to have room for 4+ systainers, even though I only have one. Then just a place to put my other power hand tools in the cubbies. Thinking of taking 6 inches at the top and making 5 foot wide sections that I can store sleds in. Oh - and maybe some drawers. Like if the 10 feet was evenly divided into 5 sections 2 foot across, I could take one column and make drawers. 

I don't really know what distinguishes a built in from what Marc did. Just leave off the back but put strips across that I can screw into the studs? 

Appreciate your brainstorming thoughts guys!

Edited by bigcliffowski

My first suggestion is to design it in sketchup where you can make a lot of changes!  Then work thru every detail until the unit has all the features you want.

Word of caution, not all systainers are the same size!  I learned that the hard way so, don't make my mistake..

44" seems tall.  Keep flexibility and future changes in mind.  Use dados spaced 2" apart for your tool storage or same for shelf pins.  Since you are attaching to wall, a nailer top and bottom could replace a back.  As for systainers, the length and width for a sys 1-5 are the same only difference is height.  Mess around with sketchup, it will give you a feel of what you may or may not like.  I did 5 different models of an assembly table/workbench that was kicking around my head. 

• Like 1

Hey Cliff, I agree with Bryan, 44" is too tall, unless you are a giant. As for systainer storage, plan for more than you have. I made my systainer storage for the systainers i had and now i have 4 loose systainers kicking around the shop. And we know you like to buy tools so i am sure you will blow past the 4 systainers. 

I see I missed some crucial details. :) 

44 inches comes from my garage. Back when my garage was built it was one solid wall all the way down. Then in the 50's big cars came along, so they cut the entire back wall about 48 inches up from the floor and pushed the back wall out about 16 inches. So I have a 48ish inch tall cavity, 16 inches deep, 18 feet wide. The space is a pain. Once I level the area using who knows what method, I plan to build the cabinets there all the way across, starting with the tool stuff on the left 10' of space. Instead of 16 inches, I'm going to bring it out 2' to give me enough space to put my entire crosscut sled in it - maybe - cause 24 inches seems like a huge depth now that I think on it.  Again, the space is completely useless to me and that 16-24" shouldn't hurt to have removed from the garage floor plan. On the wall above this area is where my wood rack will go.. giving me about 48" x 10' for wood. 

Here are some pictures to help you visualize-

wall1.thumb.jpg.48b01710680e83c2e1e3a403

wall2.thumb.jpg.682712aa2441f10bd8890f48

Don't make fun of me, that is literally the first piece of drywall I have ever put up. I learned many many important lessons, still screwed up the second piece but I'm confident the third piece will be great. 

For shelves - I'm going to go with the rockler 1/4" shelf jig so I can adjust as needed. 

Maybe I'll make 3 columns the max systainer width. At 40-44" of height, thats a decent number of systainer's. If I got that many then I will be dead, please recover my body from wherever my wife buried it and give me a proper Batman theme'd funeral. 

Edit - forgot to mention that sketchup is my next step in planning. I'm just waiting until I get drywall up on the other wall and then get some exact measurements. 

Edited by bigcliffowski
Added part about sketchup

Suggest pull outs for the systainers..  If you don't, you have to lift it out to open it.

Drywall is fairly easy once you learn the tricks..  I've done a fair share so, feel free to drop me a pm if you need some help.

As for the shape of your shop, well, there's only so much you can do and this looks like a good use for the space!

• Like 1

Mine are fixed but its pretty easy to move the drawer slides and re screw. I need to build another couple storage units for my systainers and i will make it adjustable with the lr32 system. Not sure how useful that will be but i will try. I dont think systainer placement is something that you are moving around so much that you need infinite adjustability.

I like the pull outs on my MFTC.  The full extension 14" slides allow the systainer to completely open without taking up too much room.  The cutouts in the base fit the feet on the systainer and keep it from sliding around.

IMG_0552.JPG

IMG_0553.JPG

Nice job micks. You really made those shelves festool style. I love it. For my slide outs i went simple. I made a lip on the front of the shelf and put a little stop block on the shelf at the back of the systainer to keep it in place.

So I have never installed drawer slides, but my perception is that if I put in shelf pin holes, this will not interfere with where I drill holes for slides? Cause right now I have one systainer so I will put one pullout, but I plan to get festool sander within six months so I would want to take a shelf out and replace it with pullout. Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

So I have never installed drawer slides, but my perception is that if I put in shelf pin holes, this will not interfere with where I drill holes for slides? Cause right now I have one systainer so I will put one pullout, but I plan to get festool sander within six months so I would want to take a shelf out and replace it with pullout. Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The very best thing you can do is to make your shelf holes consistent with the 32mm system. I would think all, but I'll state most, of the drawer slides you can buy are based on this. First hole to mount the slide is registered 37mm from the front edge, and a second (and sometimes third) hole is set back on multiples of 32mm from the front hole. Use 5mm shelf pins, and when you decide to switch to drawers, 5mm Euro screws makes things super simple as long as your holes haven't become compromised.

I did this for my systainer storage, and I'll never ever make another storage solution that doesn't have the ability to switch to drawers later. Takes slightly more time in figuring out your hole placement up front, but is completely worth it.

Have you considered making something like Jay Bates monster mitre saw cabinet?  A work station, bench, and tons of storage all in one. 

It's not completely far off from where I am going. On a side note, I hate that dudes videos. Too short and not enough detail. Sometimes music that I don't  care to listen to then he stops and talks all the sudden so I can't leave it muted.

Edit- Oh and I don't really have a miter saw. I do but it's small and stupid and nearly unusable! 

Edited by Cliff
  • Like 1