Bosch 1590EVSL vs. 1591EVSK vs. ???

Lee Bussy

Thinking about getting a "good" jigsaw to replace what is apparently (okay - obviously) a POS.  I mean the whole line of saws used to be called "skil saws" for a long time - and I have a Skil and it's a POS.  So these Bosch look pretty good.  Anyone want to talk me out of it?

Any real advantages/differences between the 1590 and 1591?

My Bosch saber saw is well over 20 years old and still going strong.  No idea what model it is. Top handle, 6 speeds, 4 levels of blade angle (forward), bearing that keeps the blade stable.

Only work it's needed was a new cord, bought the part and did it myself .

Thanks.   These are likely a newer model but they do have the blade guides.  I tried one of these a couple weeks ago I guess and really likes it.  I can't find anyone who doesn't like them at some level.  I would have bought it then but I always talk myself out of stuff at the last minute. 

The motor is 6.7 amps so I don't think anything is going to slow it down.   

Hey, Daniel, Just FYI, Skil does make more than just circular saws.

he was replying to what I thought I was talking about:

SKIL can trace its heritage to the invention of the circular saw by Edmond Michele in 1924, which led to the development of the SKILSAW circular sawModel 77 in 1937. Now referred to as “the saw that built America,” the Model 77 set the industry standard for handheld worm-drive circular saws which remains in production almost unchanged today.[1] In an example of a genericized trademark, portable circular saws are often still called Skilsawsor Skil saws.[ /quote]

Just looking at the 1591, it seems to be this century's version of the 1582 I have had for 20 + years.  I have really put it thru the ringer over the years.  I have enjoyed the barrel grip, for me personally it is more comfortable.

Edited by Chet K.

I too would like a good recommendation as others talk about breaking down their boards with a jig saw and I use a circ saw. I've tried a jig saw but don't know if it's the saw or the blades I use 

same boat here bro.  I've tried it with my Dewalt and that thing just sucks. I feel more productive grabbing my hard point saw for crosscut and just use the band saw on rips

I had a pretty lengthy reply typed up, but when Windows 10 decided to download and install it popped up a notice that apparently I hit the hotkey for.   It rebooted and ... boom.

Bottom line:  I was in the same boat but I paid $29 for my jig saw.  I tried some of the top of the line ones at the store (look at the video up there) and was dully impressed.  It also requires that the correct blade is chosen; a task at which I have also apparently failed.

So - find a place where you can try a few.  I don't think you need a jig saw to break down raw lumber, I use my circular saw for that most times.  I will be buying one of these better jig saws as soon as I get done over-thinking it though.  I need to be able to cut decent curves and stop cuts until I get my band saw.

The 1590 is no longer sold, it's 6.4 (I think) amp design replaced by the 7.0 amp 470 with no "stabilizer" thingies.  They also added a 7.2 amp 572 with some sort of lower blade guide as well as an LED.  I don't see any 572's available as reconditioned yet so that either means they are too new, or they don't break.  I suspect the former. :)  At $279 it's at a whole different price point, but still almost half of the Festool which does not seem to be worth double the price.  Of course you don't get to say you HAVE a Festool if you buy the Bosch.

• 4 months later...

I have an older Bosch barrel grip & really like it, except for "quick change" blade mechanism. I'ts pretty awful. I see it's completely different on the new one. Good choice.

Thank you sir!  I hope so.  I just got a text saying it was delivered.  I have to sit here at work knowing there's a new toy at home.